Help, how do I explain this without algebra

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDuck

Re: Help, how do I explain this without algebra

Post by PurpleDuck »

ToadMum wrote:I also have the thought that this is a test of the candidate's ability to apply what they should have off pat by this age (3- and 4-times tables, albeit extending then beyond 12x) with an ability to apply logical thought to the problem. Is algebra in the KS2 curriculum (old or new)? The 'if 2 apples and 3 pears cost 98p and 5 kumquats and a raspberry cost 64p, then...' type question doesn't really count.
I agree. The most 'algebra' I did with DS for his 11+ was things like e.g. 'if 7+ x = 12, how much is x?', but they do things like that very early on in primary, only wiht empty boxes to write a number in instead of an 'x'. Questions such as the one posted by the OP are really more to do with testing an ability to apply logic and manipulate facts than anything else.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Googley2

Post by Googley2 »

Thank you, have sorted it now from the other post without algebra. Peace at last.

ToadMum wrote:
Googley2 wrote:I have just come across this as well. Can someone please explain the algebra to me as we havent done that yet and could do with some help?

Thanks
This question has come up again in the last week or so. It's not really algebra.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 54&start=0
rd1709

Post by rd1709 »

How did you manage it? Seems challenging..