math problem

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3rdy

math problem

Post by 3rdy »

If it takes 8 minutes to drill 6 holes, how many holes can be drilled in 15 minutes

Could someone explain how work out the above question?

thanks for any help :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Firstly, I'm no expert but I would explain it the way my brain worked it out.

An obvious number fact is that 16 is double 8. Therefore, we know that 12 holes could be drilled in 16 mins as we have only been given 15 mins we would take the last drilled hole away! The answer therefore has to be 11.

I am assuming the answer has to be in whole holes!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Belinda,

Your method is called the 'unitary' method as you are finding out how much '1' is by dividing then multiplying to get what you need. It works well for most children!

I like the 'approx' method above to - in a MC situation it would probably be good enough.
LH

Holes

Post by LH »

stly, I'm no expert but I would explain it the way my brain worked it out.

An obvious number fact is that 16 is double 8. Therefore, we know that 12 holes could be drilled in 16 mins as we have only been given 15 mins we would take the last drilled hole away! The answer therefore has to be 11.

I am assuming the answer has to be in whole holes!!

I would say 12 holes rather than 11 - you have started on the 12th so you do have a hole, even if it's smaller than you are aiming for!

Post by Guest »

I agree. Maths says you have 11.25 holes but common sense says you have 12 holes, the 12th one being less deep.

Is this an ill-thought-out question or a trick one?
chad

Post by chad »

Aha....would .25 be a full hole or just a dent???? :D
LH

Post by LH »

I think it's a badly thought out question - you could make a case for 11 or 12 and the last thing you want to do under pressure is worry about which one the examiner had in mind.