Ratio question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
irena16

Ratio question

Post by irena16 »

Hi!
This is a question from Bond How to Do 11+ Maths book p.49. It is probably older edition.

Some Top Trump cards are won by Arif and Ethan in the ratio 5:4. If Ted has won 20, Ethan will get ____

Am I missing something? Where did Ted come from? It is copied word for word. Please, tell me if you think there is a mistake. If not then how to do it? I have the answer.
Guest55

Re: Ratio question

Post by Guest55 »

irena16 wrote:Hi!
This is a question from Bond How to Do 11+ Maths book p.49. It is probably older edition.

Some Top Trump cards are won by Arif and Ethan in the ratio 5:4. If Ted has won 20, Ethan will get ____

Am I missing something? Where did Ted come from? It is copied word for word. Please, tell me if you think there is a mistake. If not then how to do it? I have the answer.
I suspect the question has been rewritten to reflect changes in first names and Arif is Ted in disguise ...
irena16

Post by irena16 »

Well, If Arif is Ted as suggested above then Ethan will get 16 cards, wouldn't he? But the answer is 25.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The question is wrong then as the ratio would need to be round the other way.

If it was 4:5 then 25 would be the answer for Ethan if Ted = Araf.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Lol! As well as changing Arif's name to Ted you need to either turn the names or the ratio round! I think there are a lot of errors in that question ...............