Help - Stupid Maths question....can anyone solve?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Help - Stupid Maths question....can anyone solve?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

It certainly could be taken either way, but I took it as a-b and it was very easy to work out the answers with that assumption.
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

I must admit the fact they gave 3 examples below led me to believe they were referring to those examples and not the previously completed questions above. This is what threw me a bit. Regardless, I think this question is very tricky and the child will need to get a bit lucky to see the pattern. To me it doesn't really test numerical reasoning or maths skills.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BucksBornNBred wrote:We are going to have to agree to disagree on this Guest55 :) This would make a good NVR question as it just looks like patterns to me!

a and b both state you add the numbers together and then do another calculation. The question says to take the examples and use them to calculate c-e, which to me points to the fact that the first two given numbers also have to be added together and another calculation found to link them together, as per the examples.
That approach doesn't work for (c) ...
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:We are going to have to agree to disagree on this Guest55 :) This would make a good NVR question as it just looks like patterns to me!

a and b both state you add the numbers together and then do another calculation. The question says to take the examples and use them to calculate c-e, which to me points to the fact that the first two given numbers also have to be added together and another calculation found to link them together, as per the examples.
That approach doesn't work for (c) ...
It works for all of them, though I confess I somehow skipped (d)!!

c) Add the two numbers and then add the last number. (5+1)+1=7

Sorry I don't have an elegant equation for that :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BucksBornNBred wrote: It works for all of them, though I confess I somehow skipped (d)!!

c) Add the two numbers and then add the last number. (5+1)+1=7

Sorry I don't have an elegant equation for that :?
That is the first plus double the second ... I don't think that the way you've said it technically follows the pattern they gave as you are adding a different number each time.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I like the "double the second" - thanks. And yes I am adding a different number each time, but it is coming from the same place which makes it a pattern! The examples they gave imo showed that you had to add the first two numbers and then work from there; maybe you are looking at it from a more mathematical point of view. That is why I think this is more of an NVR question :)