Can anyone help, brain in gear needed!!

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Can anyone help, brain in gear needed!!

Post by yoyo123 »

http://tre.ngfl.gov.uk/uploads/material ... 20able.doc

Did this today, the children quickly got teh idea that each time you add another table you get 2 more places, but we were all a bit stumped on finding a formula so that one could immediately say 'n' tables..'x' pupils.

I just grabbed the investigation as I was called in to teach at very short notice and I had to admit I had not worked it out first as I normally do :oops: I think I must have left my brain at home

There is obviously some relationship between teh number of seats you lose by putting tables together and the number you gain.

I have promised the y6 class I will et them know. So can you help me save face please! :wink:

Thank you in advance.
chad

Post by chad »

The formula is..... pupils = 2(number of tables) + 6

ie. p = 2n+6

Each arrangement of tables has 6 pupils + 2 pupils on the ends. therefore the number of 'pupils' will increase by 2 for each table added.

Not explained very well I know but I just seem to 'see' these. :oops:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My hero!

:D Thank you SOOO much, we kept skirting round the six and two but never quite getting there . there are some days when thinking on your feet doesn't work.....
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sitting down withot 32 children bellowing in my ear I have just realised this is a lot simpler than it seemed in teh heat of battle.

Thank you once again :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now