Maths GL versus Maths CEM

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Northdad

Maths GL versus Maths CEM

Post by Northdad »

Now that one of our local consortia (SW Herts) seemto to have confirmed that they are continuing with GL maths-despite using CEM for English/Verbal - could anyone advise of the difference?

Should we expect short numerical reasoning types rather than multi-part long questions? The familiarisation paper is very brief.

If we focus on CEM in line with the other grammars, will we have covered whichever style of questions GL throws up?

Thanks in advance.
11+pass

Re: Maths GL versus Maths CEM

Post by 11+pass »

GL Maths papers are much easier than CEM ones as they are not so time pressured. I would advise your DD to practice both types of papers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which exams are you actually sitting Northdad?

CEM Maths is easier Maths as it is very short questions because of the timing. The GL Maths papers will have more complicated questions as the timing is one single period of fifty minutes if you are sitting SW Herts and QE.

CEM candidates need to be able to get used to answering maths questions very quickly and not thinking about them too much. With GL they can afford to spend longer and go back to ones they have missed out.

I deal with this every year and students soon get used to dealing with both formats. I would focus on the English CEM which will be new to your student. DG
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Thanks DG and 11+pass. We are probably SW Herts, HBS and Bucks. Yes most of DDs time is spent on English/VR not maths.

Given this and 11+pass' advice, would you say we need to get hold of these papers for SW Herts, in addition to the CEM papers?

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Parent/books ... book_MHPE1

BTW, she's already nearly finished Bond 10-11 assessment papers and Hienemann 6.

Would you say these are quite similar to actual degree of difficulty and time pressure?

Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How serious are you about HBS? You need to be preparing for a much higher level of comprehension and maths than Bond offers. CGP Maths is good and will also help with the Bucks CEM Maths. The numbers for HBS last year were 2600 and 300 go through so your cem levels need to be better than about 2500 other girls as I predict HBS numbers will be 2800 this year. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now