What is the eighth even number?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nyr

Re: What is the eighth even number?

Post by nyr »

I acknowledge the point about negative infinity but the main point is the lack of clarity about which numbers to start testing from.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

The question could be framed as ;

which is the 8th even positive integer?

or

which is the 8th even integer greater than or equal to 0 ?

either way ,it is a stupid question for 10yr olds.

nb-0 is neither positive or negative but it is an even number.

The maths around zero is very nuanced that even the Romans could not get their heads around it and took some very clever Babylonians and finally some even cleverer Indians to formally elucidate its power.
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

In my experience maths at this level is taught to suggest 0 is not an even number - or an odd number, at that. I would have answered 16 (surprised to see people answering differently! Guess my mathematical experience is limited)

Having said that, I agree that the question is phrased poorly. Very confusing for 10 & 11 year olds!
Last edited by Immortal Dreams on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I think I was only taught that zero was an even number at high school, and before that I didn't think of it as a "real" number at all. Therefore, based on the ambiguity of the question and the age it is aimed at I, too, would assume that the correct answer is 16. Though the question might have been set to weed out the less knowledgeable children. :-)
moved

Post by moved »

Immortal Dreams wrote:In my experience maths at this level is taught to suggest 0 is not an even number - or an odd number, at that. I would have answered 16 (surprised to see people answering differently! Guess my mathematical experience is limited)

Having said that, I agree that the question is phrased poorly. Very confusing for 10 & 11 year olds!
0 is an even number. I'd hope all of my 11+ club in yr 5 would know that. I think most of year 2 and beyond. should know it too. I think this question would perplex them, but I think they would answer 16.

Private school exams are often only written by one person and the questions are not trialled.
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

moved wrote: 0 is an even number. I'd hope all of my 11+ club in yr 5 would know that. I think most of year 2 and beyond. should know it too. I think this question would perplex them, but I think they would answer 16.

Private school exams are often only written by one person and the questions are not trialled.
I just checked and you are right, I apologise - 0 is even. My maths really isn't up to scratch! I still hold that I, at least, was never taught as to whether 0 was odd or even at that age (poor teaching or bad memory?). However, your response leaves me a little confused. Since 0 is an even number, surely the answer they should give is 14?
moved

Post by moved »

No dig intended. I only quoted as I would hope children these days are better taught. I also wish that this style of exam were better written.

Given the wording of the question the implied answer is 16 imo. Otherwise it is nonsensical, which is actually the case.