Help please to find the missing numbers

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrowboy

Help please to find the missing numbers

Post by harrowboy »

This was given to my boy at his school for his homework on year 6.

The letters are to represent certain numbers and stars are being placed on the rest of the numbers. Need to complete the long multiplication.

. A B C
. B A C
. -----------
. * * * *
. * * A
. * * * B
. ------------------
. * * * * * * *

I am sorry that I am not using the the exact wordings as I do not have the original question with me now. But, if my discription confuse, I will repost this evening once I back home.

SORRY, IT'S NOT LETTING ME TO LEAVE ANY SPACE AND EVERYTHING IS LEFT ALIGNED ON THE TABLE.

Many thanks

I have worked out the follwing way.
Since the 2nd line consist only 3 digits, A X A must be a single digit. So, A <= 3. Since the fist line has 4 digits, A can't be 0 or 1. But, if it's 3, then B X C can't be B unless C is one or 0 which is not possible ny looking at line one.
So final conclusion of my working is, A = 2, B = 6 & C = 8.
The only trouble is, then on the line 1, where C X C is, the unit should be 8 which is C but got an * there. Simillarly, there are more 2s, 6s & 8s.
Any other way to work out please?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Haven't done the whole thing, but I think you're right that A=2, in which case (looking at the second line, and assuming I've interpreted the formatting correctly) then A x C must be something ending with A - i.e. 2 x something ends with 2, so C = 6.

Will persevere with it ...