Area type question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clarendon

Area type question

Post by clarendon »

Hi,

Am having a block with this question... daughter answered 25 but ans book states 125 and I can't see why!

A rectangle 1m x 5m and how many tiles each 20cm square are needed to cover the surface?

Please can anyone shed any light on this?
Many thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Along the 1m edge I can fit 5 tiles.

Along the 5m edge I can fit 25 tiles.

So I have 5 rows of 25 tiles; 5 x 25 = 125 tiles in total.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Thank you Guest 55 for your speedy response. It seems obvious now!
Also we found your info on ratios v. helpful so thanks also for that.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there

Just wondering and I hope Gues55 will have an answer for me. Is there a good series of books that covers what the children learn in each year. My dd is currently year five. To support her school learning I would like to buy a book that covers all the stuff she is currently studying. I have been in WS SMiths but ir is a minefield.

Thanks

Mel
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Mel, I use the Rising Star series, it supports each Sats level. I then use Bond to reinforce each topic and the questions are sometimes phrased slightly different. I think this helps so that children are shown a variety of ways of questioning.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Tracy

Thanks for that I will have a look. Can I assume then that you do some work at home with your children in general or are you just doing some for the 11+ test?

I am thinking of doing it I guess just to get a real clear idea as to where my dd is.

You see up until last September she was in a different school where she was set for each lesson Maths English and Science. The top sets were 1a and 1b(same work but a tad slower). DD was in 1A for English and Science and 1b for maths. Anyway because of moving house we moved DD to a new school in Spetember and as it is tiny in comparison they have only one class per year, do not set for Science and use tables for Maths and English. About five or six tables for each. From what I can work out she is in table 2 for English and table 3 for Maths which I guess concerns me a little. She scored above her class average in the last NFER tests she done so her classs teachers said that puts her in the Zone for passing? and they do have a high acheiving class but I guess I am worried because of the set thing. I imagine had she still been in her old school and in the same sets(where she's been since year 2) I wouldn't be worried at all as the then head there said it was usually only children who were in the top sets who were more suited to GS.

Mel
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Mel,

I won't go into all the details but in a nutshell, I'm doing a LOT of supporting work at home because I'm not at all happy with the progress - I really mean lack of progress - at school. Daughter also sees a tutor once a week. I seriously considered changing schools but for various reasons I decided against it but then to take a very active part in the teaching.

I'm not just doing this for the 11+ either, although I would love to see my little one join her sister at grammar.

I'm doing all this because as a parent you just know when something isn't right. I believe that my daughter's targets have been set way,way too low and that she was considered to have special needs when this clearly isn't the case. She is a very good actress and she can easily convince others of a low ability.

Since Nov, when I have been actively on the ball with this education stuff, my daughter has moved up considerably in both literacy and numeracy. Because I've been giving her more challenging work, likewise has the tutor, I have seen a change in attitude in my daughter. She really is doing well. I have made the school well aware of what my daughter is capable of including acting! Likewise I have told my daughter that poor effort is just not acceptable.

I'm in the process of making sure that she has a solid grasp of level 3 in both literacy and maths before we go on to level 4. Will probably start this after the next Half Term. Not bad considering last September she she a 2A in literacy and a 2B in Maths!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now