Speed

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jimjamjo

Speed

Post by jimjamjo »

My son is doing quite well with the multiple choice questions but takes about 15 seconds to write each answer on the answer sheet. As a result, he's only done 40 questions by the end of the test.

Has anyone got any advice to speed him up or a work around please?
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Do the test with him - that is what we did. We had races and my daughter absolutely loved it, especially as she was faster than me and could usually get a higher score. The child is so concerned to beat you that they forget that it is a boring old test and really enjoy it. It also introduces a fun element to it - it became much more like a game and she carried on asking for NVR, VR and maths for months after she had sat the test!

Give it a go and if it doesn't work, may be someone else can come up with another suggestion?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

How often does your son do practice papers?
Learning to fill in the answer sheet quickly is almost mechanical, and I would suggest a small amount of practice very often, daily if possile. IPS do 'Daily practice papers', that are to be done in 6mns. Otherwise you can split any paper in small chunks.
A little often is a method that worked well for my son.
Jimjamjo

Post by Jimjamjo »

Hi

Thanks for the replys. He's got quicker now just by laying out has work better and more practice. I found that he was spending 5-10 secs just filling in the answer box :)

I'll try the competition thing and see if it helps. Also thanks for the IPS info.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now