Areas & Perimeters

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nakabar

Areas & Perimeters

Post by nakabar »

Can someone give me some links or simple method to work out the areas and perimeters of a shape. My son is fine if it is a straightforward square or a rectangle, but if a question involves bricks joined with half bricks, we are always getting it wrong. I hope I have made this clear. There are some sample questions in Dame Alice Owens exam, Hertfordshire.

Thanks
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi
For perimeters of L shapes I always teach my children to walk the line - if there is no measurement on the line then you cannot walk it until there is.
using the known lengths to work out the unknown length gives them what they need to carry on walking around. I also teach them to strike through each line as they walk so they do not miss one or count it twice.

For areas of L shapes I get them to make rectangles from the shape and work out the areas separately then add them together. Again I get them to shade through once worked so they know what they have covered.

Finally to help them remember in the exam I get them to look at their rubber as it helps them focus on Percy the peRIMeter pig and AleX Area the CROSS eyed ant.
As an add on I also introduce Victor Volume the DOUBLE CROSSING vulture.
Silly I know but they really work!
Good luck!
Regards
reddebs
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perimeter of L-shapes are the same as the original rectangle ... try it!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

To add further, so is the perimeter of any shape where the sides do not return and contain only right-angles.