marking of homework

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kosar.irshad

marking of homework

Post by kosar.irshad »

I am not sure how to approach this without sounding like a pushy parent. My son is being taught maths separately from the class with another boy. He is given homework to consolidate what he is taught in class. This homework is invariably harder than the work they cover in class and he sometimes has difficulty with it. My concern is that this homework is not marked and he doesn't know if it is right. How should I approach his teacher? I don't want to accuse him of not doing his job properly, any ideas welcome.

P.S. please help with this question
Remove these brackets
-5(6+2c)
-2w(7+3w)
-4p(6p-2+k)
Many thanks
chad

Post by chad »

I would have a quiet word with the teacher and ask for some feedback on the homework as there are some sections he is not sure about. I would be quite put out if my son was making the effort without recognition.

Ref the equations... my son says this is the way to do them (but I did drag him away from his Xbox.... so not a lot of concentration to get the right answer... it would be better if someone could confirm they are right)

-5(6+2c) multiply out.. -5 x 6 = -30 ..... -5 x 2c = -10c .... therefore -30 - 10c

-2w(7+3w) .... = -14w -6w2 (supposed to be 6w squared but don't know how to do it on the keyboard)

-4p(6p-2+k) .... = -24p2 + 8p - 4pk
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I agree with Chad but would also ask the teacher to supply a couple of examples with the working out and answers so that you can help your son at home. Teachers all too often forget that kids have minds like sieves and that parents maths skills can be a bit rusty too!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now