Exceptional at English but weak on Maths can she get through

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

3pink

Exceptional at English but weak on Maths can she get through

Post by 3pink »

Just wondering a child, she's only 8 at the moment who is fantastic at English, could make up her marks in that area and still get through despite being average at Maths. She gets by but is certainly not better than the other 30 in her class.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Maths changes - give her another year, help her and she may just "see" it.
sunnymummy

Post by sunnymummy »

If you post in the Wirral section, someone may be able to tell you exactly how much maths is in your 11+. May be v. little!! Just scroll down and keep going ... .
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Maths is a subject where you have to try to get the concept over to the child to be able to understand it.....

When i am trying to explain a certain topic and they are unable to grasp it
it's then my problem and not the childs... and the problem i have is to find a way to get the concept over to the child in a way that THEY understand it.

At 8 years old you should reinforce the basics well, Addition, Subtraction,

Multiplication and Division...

There is a wealth of free material on the web to do plenty of practice for that age and slowly build up to percentages, fractions, decimals, shapes, handling data, simple algebra etc etc..

I would not leave it to the school to improve her Maths.
20 mins a day at home now would put her in great shape...

Practice to be fluent at the times table...able to give an answer almost instantaneously

You should aim to cover all the year 6 stuff before the exams because the 11+ exams are usually at the start of year 6.

quizzer
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear 3pink

As already suggested, take a look at the Wirral section, towards the bottom of the front page of the forum.

The tests are VR mltiple choice, with only 4 types of maths questions. Your child will need to be good at the 4 operations, being quick at multiplication tables, adding, subtraction and division. You will be happy to know decimals/averges/areas/volume/ etc etc is not required learning. A reasonable knowledge of handling data will be an advantage for the Z questions which often require sorting out lots of information into tables.

Take a look at The Tutors demo CD for an example of each question type.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Of course by the time your child enters a grammar school it would be helpful if they are reasonably proficient in their general maths, the post by quizzer above could therefore be quite helpful in that respect.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now