LRGS preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dixechick1975

Re: LRGS preparation

Post by Dixechick1975 »

You are correct hermanmunster, I'm not aware of any time the in catchment children have taken all the places, there have always been OOC offers. The intake has moved from 120 to 150 to accommodate the fact there are more children in catchment (newbuild housing estates).

The admissions information from school makes it clear that you also need to list school as 1 on the CAF.

Last year 5 DC sat from my DD's school all OOC. 4 passed. Of those 3 knew in October they had a place (high scores). One passed but was placed on the wait list and knew her place number on the list. She was not near the top of the list and as expected did not gain a place.
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

Toadmum I think different local authorities allocate the Grammar places differently. Particular those such as Kent and Buckinghamshire who have many more Grammar School places. I don't know the details in other areas but it appears that in some places a lot more children take the 11+ and there are a number of alternative selective schools available to them depending on the score/ranking achieved.

In Lancashire each of the 4 Grammar Schools administer their own tests and admissions process (on the same day so you can only apply to one of them). For LRGS, LGGS and CRGS (not sure about the other one) those who have passed in area or scored high enough to get an OOC place are told this but not told their score or ranking, hence everyone starts year 7 on a level playing field. I believe that those from OOC who are on the waiting list will know their place on the list (and maybe even their score) and are in the difficult position of not knowing if there is a place until after 1 March when places are accepted/declined and the left over places allocated from he waiting list.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Unless the schools are somehow exempt from the Admissions Code, though, they have to make it clear '...that this does not equate to a guarantee of a selective place' (paragraph 1.32. c)), even if it is obvious from your ranking that a place will be yours if you place the school on your CAF in the requisite position. I don't see how they can indicate a waiting list position until they know who has actually applied for a place, or have I misunderstood and you mean that the friend's child's waiting list position was notified after national allocations day?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Primrosejo

Post by Primrosejo »

They have a waiting list position and it's just a case of everyone who passed the standard but might live fitter afield is on the list based on distance from school. If they don't fill all their places then they take from the waiting list.
If you get an acceptance letter then you have a place so long as you put the school as first choice. That's the way it has always been. The Grammar schools operate on a slightly different system to comprehensives as they are allowed to select. They have their own admissions codes and CRGS is an academy so sets its own rules.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

In the thread from 2013 someone posted the contents of the results letter:
:I am pleased to inform you that he reached the required standard in the tests,and in accordance with Lancashire County Council's Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme,we have informed LEA that we are willing to accept him as a day pupil at LRGS from Sept 2013.We understand that the LEA will allocate him a place here if your Common Application Form states that you put LRGS as your first choice..
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Primrosejo wrote:They have a waiting list position and it's just a case of everyone who passed the standard but might live fitter afield is on the list based on distance from school. If they don't fill all their places then they take from the waiting list.
If you get an acceptance letter then you have a place so long as you put the school as first choice. That's the way it has always been. The Grammar schools operate on a slightly different system to comprehensives as they are allowed to select. They have their own admissions codes and CRGS is an academy so sets its own rules.
Sorry, no, whether they are grammar schools, comprehensive schools, academies, or not, they are all bound by the same Admissions Code.

The letter that Hernanmunster quotes just about conforms, IMHO, although a) it could be interpreted as implying that the school knows where you placed it on your CAF (which would contravene the code) and b) that you have to put it as your first preference (you don't - you just have to put it above any other school which is also able to offer your child a place).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Dixechick1975

Post by Dixechick1975 »

For CRGS (I understand LRGS is the same) catchment children the child is not given a score or rank. Just told if they have passed. The letter makes it clear they have a place if they name the school on the CAF.
The school has 150 places. The pass mark varies but is believed to be 75%ish. So last year 100 children in catchment passed. The school also write to the children OOC with the 50 best OOC scores in the same terms so they know they have a place if they put the school on the CAF. The rest of the OOC 'pass' children are put on a wait list in score order. So in October OOC girl at DC's school knew she was a 'pass' but number 36 or something so no realistic chance of a place.
Come March allocation day yes it is possible that some children wont have named the school on the CAF. In that case the school will allocate the places to the next children on the waiting list who have named the school on the CAF. It wont be many that don't list the school on the CAF so unless DC is high up on the wait list realistically your child knows they have not got a place in October.
This is why people talk of out of catchment pass being higher, what they mean is OOC child needs to be scoring 85/90%? to be ranked as one of the top 50.
One of the big benefits if you are in catchment is you know in October where DC is going if you get the 'pass' letter.
Dixechick1975

Post by Dixechick1975 »

Primrosejo wrote:They have a waiting list position and it's just a case of everyone who passed the standard but might live fitter afield is on the list based on distance from school. If they don't fill all their places then they take from the waiting list.
That is indeed my understanding if you get the acceptance letter in October you have a place as long as you put it on the CAF. It is score not distance that determines out of catchment places for CRGS. Think you are catchment like us so it makes no difference to us. Wishing next few days would hurry by now, LRGS getting their results has made our wait seem even longer :)
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

Toadmum - this is very confusing isn't it.

The letter is sent in early October prior to the closing date for completion of the CAF on 31st October so there is no way that the school could know where you have placed it on the CAF.

The advice in the last sentence "We understand that the LEA will allocate him a place here if your Common Application Form states that you have put LRGS as your first preference." is to make sure applicants understand that if LRGS (or LGGS or CRGS) is not first preference and the applicants first preference is able to offer the applicant a place then the LEA will only offer a place at the first choice school - I think that this is what you were saying in your second point.

I would assume that those at the top of the waiting list would also be advised to put LRGS as the first choice in the event that some of those applicants who qualified for a place did not actually apply for it (i.e. put LRGS first on the CAF).
tsl

Post by tsl »

Thank you Dixechick1975 and others. I really hope that everyone here will get the good news. I have learnt a lot from this forum. Some of you can be consultant in 11 plus!
One of my son's classmates was told the score, total about 330. I think he would have a place if he was in the catchment area. But he lives OOC so now he is on the waiting list. LRGS did not tell the parents his ranking. How can they know if they should still put LRGS as his first choice? I don't think they will take the risk, especially there are two good schools near them. If he does not choose one of them as his first choice, he may miss the chance as well.
Also I remember I read the information about the waiting list on LGRS website. (11+ arrangement 2017 something like that....) The school will keep the waiting list till the end of 2017. So will some students already go to another school and then suddenly got a letter of telling them there is a place for them?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now