Bacup and Rawtenstall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ruby

Bacup and Rawtenstall

Post by Ruby »

Well, me and my son went to the open evening this week and were just astounded at how many people were there. I was just wondering how everyone is getting on and if there was anyone else on the boards who child will be sitting sitting the test (just 2 weeks to go, yikes) My son is also sitting the test for Clitheroe and we are struggling to decide how on earth we will decide which order to put the schools on the apllication. Its a tough business we are in :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

spose that's right - should be lancashire rather than lancaster but there is no lancashire group??

Not sure of the geography here - I mean I know Clitheroe quite well as I live in Skipton and cross the border several times a week :shock: but don't know how far Bacup / rawtenstall is ... which is your nearest??

Reckon you will have to see what the results are as you should know them before the form goes in....
Good luck and keep posting!!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I live in Burnley so kind of half way between both. Bacup and Rawtenstall is 9 miles away and 9.2 miles from Clitheroe not much in it eh :lol: The benefit of Bacup is they do tell you a couple of weeks after the exam if they intend to offer your child a place. My preference is with Clitheroe really, but it would be foolish to turn down an offer (if hes lucky enough to get one) from Bacup without being certain we would get a place at Clitheroe. Pah my head is hurting :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yep that does sound like it would drive you crazy....... :roll:

I suppose it depends on how many kids from Burnley are likely to get into CRGS? ie how many they take from in and out of catchment - have you managed to get info on that?
izzywizz

Post by izzywizz »

Hi there fellow Lancashire people! :D Great to see other people on this lonely
thread. :D I live in Rishton and my daughter may also sit the Clitheroe exam.She was going to sit the Bacup and Rawtenstall, however she has just had her tonsills out and is still a bit below par. Not been able to do much revision for a couple of weeks so don't feel it's fair to put her through an exam just yet. Also Bacup and Rawtenstall is quite a trek from our house and no school bus to school from here. I reckon we are to far to gain a place after talking to LEA. DO you know what exam board they use? NFER? Ruby do you know the exam board for the Clitheroe Grammar? Have you been using any test papers to help your son prepare for the exam? If so, could you advise me on which you found useful? My head is hurting too :roll: :roll:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Hi Izzywizz, Im so surprised this thread is so quiet, after all there are several fabulous Grammar schools in Lancs :wink:

Both Clitheroe and Bacup use NFER as examining boards. My son has been going to a tutor for the last few months and is doing practice papers there and one a week for homework, its been a nightmare persuading him to do ANY homework, he is adamant he wants to go to Grammar school but its nigh on impossible to get him to do the work :cry: He got level 5's in his mock sats last term which they say is what they are looking for in prospective students, but we will see Im trying to be positive but there is such a huge amount of competition. If he isnt lucky enough to get into Clitheroe or Bacup all being well he can go to St Augustines which is also brill school.. but I went there and I was utterly miserable for 5 years lol

The headmaster for BRGS said that if you are out of the catchment area it makes no difference how far away you are from the school so it might be worth a try. The application to the school has to be in at the end of the week so if you want her to give it a go you will need to get your skates on.

Good luck with it all, Im getting more and more stressed as each day passes, lets hope our children get the results they deserve and will be happy which ever school they go to.
izzywizz

Post by izzywizz »

Hi Ruby.
Thankyou for the information about NFER being the exam board for Clitheroe Grammar. Do you happen to know if it is multiple choice or standard? Also, which sort of papers has your tutor given your son to complete at home? It might help to know if they are similar to the ones we are using! We decided not to sit the Bacup exam, just a nightmare to travel to. However we wish your son all the best for his exam :) Is it this weekend? We will be thinking of you. Please let me know what he thought about it! We are considering St Christophers and Clitheroe Grammar, but don't know which order to put them in.Our daughter was level 5's in year 5 also. Not sure if she is at the level for the Grammar though, not being in the catchment area. STRESS, STRESS, STRESS :( We are also thinking of sitting our local independent school exam to keep our options open. She would have to earn a huge bursary though!

Tired and stressed.
izzywizz

Post by izzywizz »

hi Ruby.

We went to clitheroe Grammar open evening on Thursday, did you? Our daughter really liked it! We were suprised how many people attended! St christophers tonight, then we will make our minds up as to which schools in which order! :shock: How did your son get on at Bacup? Did you get a good feeling about clitheroe? I have been wondering how your son got on and what choices you have made. It would be good to hear from you at this stressful time.

Hopeful Mum :)