Places for Kings Grantham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

angelz

Places for Kings Grantham

Post by angelz »

My son recieved a pass letter today for Kings Grantham. His score was 225. We are very proud of him as his primary school offer no preparation at all and we both work full time, so were only able to offer minimal prep during the summer.

We already have a son there, but the admissions policy does not seem to allow for that.

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to find out how many children passed and what the likelyhood of him recieving a place is with his score before we submit our CAF?

Many thanks and congratulations to all, whose children worked so hard, whatever the result.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Angelz - depends on 2 things -

1 what is the cutoff for a "pass" - does the letter tell you (from memory I think he is above but not completely sure....)

2 Are you in catchment??? If so then pass is usually enough, the problems come with the out of area children. The girls school were able to offer to all who put it on CAF and passed last year however there were some OOC boys who couldn;t get in.

Is there more info in the letter?
angelz

Post by angelz »

Thanks hermanmunster,

The pass mark for the school is 220 across both tests. We are also very close to the school (about 1 mile) but I had been told that there is not a catchment area any more.

My older son received a place with 223, 3 years ago but I have no idea whether more, less or about the same number have passed this year.

I will try ringing the school but I am not sure they are able to give out this type of information.

Angelz
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Congrats on getting above the cutoff 220!! that was the figure I had in mind...

What a pain that you are no longer in catchment!

aaargh just looked at the admission criteria - looks like they are going for Rank order only ... sounds like a super selective in creation.

What they may tell you is how many have achieved above 220 ... this will give you some idea as to whether you will get one of the 140 places.
In N Yorks, the number above the cutoff is given with the results ... maybe you can try extracting it from them..!!
angelz

Post by angelz »

that would be extremely useful to know. I will try the school on Monday. Thanks again for your reply.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi Angelz,
Nice to hear from you again!! King's abandoned its inner and outer areas a couple of years ago, so it is simply score order now and Grammars which allocate on score order may not have any priority given to siblings under the Code.
The cut off score last year was 225 (on March2)(but will check on Monday to make sure my memory serves me right!!). The school are usually very helpful when you ring them and will tell you near enough what they expect the cut off to be. Fingers crossed for you! If the worse came to the worse and the cut off were slightly higher than your son's score don't despair - there is often a little bit of "shake-down" after March as not everyone invariably accepts their place and there is always the appeal route where the panel can take note of his brother being there amongst all the other reasons. Let's hope you don't need to go this route though! Good Luck.
angelz

Post by angelz »

Thanks Alex,

Once again I have found the support of the site invaluable and will approach the school as suggested on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Zoe
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi yep - the 225 sounds great ... if it was still last year! Hopefully (and all fingers crossed) that will be enough for this year!

good luck

Herman
lec

Post by lec »

I too am wondering what is considered a highish score as it is in rank order.Our son got 249 so am wondering if this would be good.I know it depends on how others have done.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That sounds pretty high lec!!!! ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now