Can your child complete 100 VR questions in 50 mins?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NorthLondonMum

Can your child complete 100 VR questions in 50 mins?

Post by NorthLondonMum »

I'm asking because I understand Lincolnshire use standard format papers as does our local school. My son is really struggling timewise and I am starting to panic as we now only have a week until the test.

Basically is he slow or are most unable to finish?

Thanks for reading.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I thought Lincolnshire had already done the exams- results came out early Oct ?? Or have I missed something ???? :shock:
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. We are not in Lincs but I am asking advice here because we also have standard format papers, it seems not many areas do.

Some of the tips for time saving that apply to multiple choice don't apply to standard, and there is less time given.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes we had the exams in September, but in response to the question my son didn't complete all of them. I think he missed five, but I believe that working through them carefully and making limited errors is just as good as rushing though and perhaps answering more but also making more errors if you see what I mean. BTW my DS passed :D
Good luck!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi NLM,
Yes it is possible to finish the 100 questions in 50 minutes - however, many children don't and still pass. At this late stage it may be best to work out "tactics". Here in Lincs, all questions carry the same weight - one mark per one question. Therefore it is not worth wasting time poring over one difficult question; better to maximise the number of questions answered. Some question types inevitably take longer than others but taking that into acount it might be worth looking at whether your DC is taking "too long" on certain types and seeing if it is obvious why. Then decide if it is a quick method tutorial needed or to decide to "move on" from that section after so many minutes and only go back if there is time at the end.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Thanks for your responses. I plan to target certain question types this week. He clearly needs to speed up which I had thought would happen with practice but I think we need to check his technique on some question types. I can see that a few left at the end is fine with a high level of accuracy, but he had about 20 left today and had made quite a few mistakes!

I guess the mix of question types on the day will also have an effect.

Thanks again.
gogogirl

Post by gogogirl »

My daughter really struggled with 2 types of questions on the vr practice papers and low and behold they were in there on the day. We had in advance told her to skip them and then go back at the end because we felt she may have lost both time and confidence.
She missed out 2 full sections and she still passed. Her mark for that paper was sufficient to achieve the required standard as the primary told us the individual scores of both papers. She didnt have time to go back and guess them either so we can only assume that what she did answer were correct.
Typically in the nvr practice papers there were 2 types that she amazed me by how quick she got them, again not in the actual test though. She didnt finish that paper either but still passed it. Even without standardisation for an august birthday which i believe is worth up to 8 raw marks she still would have passed. I hope this info helps and takes some pressure off.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Gogogirl,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. We will keep working on it this week and will devise some strategies to ensure he keeps moving. Hopefully the real test won't be as bad as the practice we did at the weekend which threw us (me?) into a panic!

Regards

NLM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now