Non verbal paper questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lincslady

Non verbal paper questions

Post by lincslady »

Hi- found this site whilst looking for information on the eleven plus exam-I live in Lincs and have a son who will be taking the test in Sept this year. I know the format is standard and there are a possible 5 types of non verbal questions but is it right there are only 4 sections in the real test.Does anybody know which 4 sections came up last year?
My son is strong on codes,sequences but seems to struggle with the matrices.I appreciate that if a section did'nt come up last year it may not the year after but just wondered if there was a pattern to how the sections were picked each year.
I have also been told you need to achieve over 75% to have a chance of passing-I know this changes depending on the mean score each year but is this a rough score to be aiming for?

Thanks
Alex

Re: Non verbal paper questions

Post by Alex »

So far there have been 4 sections in the NVR paper - which leads to a slightly strange division as there are 65 questions overall so one section has an "extra" question. As far as I am aware the Code type has never yet been set.
The 75% is a very rough guide - the raw score needed varies with the difficulty of the test and the strength of the cohort so it is not really possible to gauge. Children tend to drop a bit in the real thing compared to their scores in practices taken at home so you need a margin of error!
lincslady

Post by lincslady »

Thanks for the quick answer. Will practise all 5 types and hope matrices don't come up!
My sisters lad took the test three yrs ago and codes came up then-he can't remember what else was in the paper.
My sons school have started looking at NVR papers each week so hopefully this will improve his score-they looked at verbal papers before half term and in the last test got 86% but unfortunately his year do seem to be quite bright so I realise this may mean a higher score will be needed.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Hi lincslady,
I am also in lincs but DS is in Year 4 - so we have a bit of time yet. Which school are you aiming for? Sounds like hes doing quite well with his practice!! :)
lincslady

Post by lincslady »

Hi loo1965

I live in Boston so looking at Boston Grammar school-I know the school has had a couple of difficult years but hopefully with a new Headteacher the school will start to improve-the other option would be Skegness Grammar,several children catch the train from Boston but I'm not too keen on that idea if he passes.

Will keep up with the practice,he has looked at some IPS papers and completed NFER paper 11A (scoring 79%) but he completed the NFER Non verbal paper A last week and only got 62% -have gone through the answers and he hopefully will do better on the next non verbal paper
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now