Good luck for tomorrow!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lehxx

Re: Good luck for tomorrow!

Post by lehxx »

Good luck everyone...DC is fine, but I am 'pappin' it for tomorrow...and I am working the whole weekend!!!
lehxxx
KITTY CAT

Post by KITTY CAT »

Congratulations Raine, you obviously got the letter stating "impressive"? :D
RaineB

Post by RaineB »

Thanks everyone!

Kitty Cat - yes, we got the 'impressive' letter. I was sorry to read you didn't . What other schools are you considering? Are you waiting for results from Louth as well? If so, I hope the weekend brings better news.

It's actually my son who sat the tests but I think Caistor would really suit him. He's still very definite that's where he wants to go so we can finally get the forms off this weekend.
Floss

Post by Floss »

RaineB wrote:Thanks everyone!

It's actually my son who sat the tests but I think Caistor would really suit him. He's still very definite that's where he wants to go so we can finally get the forms off this weekend.
Oops sorry to your son for calling him a girl !!! Very well done to him :D
Floss

Post by Floss »

KITTY CAT wrote:Congratulations Raine, you obviously got the letter stating "impressive"? :D
Kitty - just to let you know my daughters in her second year at Caistor and we didn't get the 'impressive' letter either, so just because you didn't get it doesn't mean you wont get in :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Congratulations Master RaineB - well done!
KITTY CAT

Post by KITTY CAT »

Hello Floss - Thanks for your confidence but I thought if the letter didn't have the words "impressive" or "very good" then there is very little chance of getting into Caistor. I rang the school to ask and he said refer to the letter, re: impressive/v.good, and that a lot of children scored higher than my daughter and that I would be relying on them not putting Caistor first on their forms. Did your letter then state "very good", did you ring the school or just chance it?

Today received King Edward's letter. 66 out of catchment children reached the qualifying standard. Minimum standard is 220. This years average for out of catchment is 247 out of 280. My daughter's letter has the below average highlighted. The letter still states that in "order to give her a chance of a place I should now complete my local education form".

Any advice re the above would be of great help. Think she has more chance getting in K.Ed. What do you think?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi Kittycat
I would normally say put the schools down in the order you genuinely want, but it is difficult if you are out of area.

It probably depends how far away you are, but you will need to look at the admissions criteria carefully. I thought KE included the number in area that had reached the qualifying score as well, last year that was less than the number of places they had.
Lots of children will have completed the tests for Caistor and Louth and not all those who have reached qualifying scores will apply for a place.

Try speaking to your headteacher they might have some advice.

Not much help I'm afraid - good luck and well done to your DD.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The letter is not terribly helpful as a guide to your chances of getting a place without more information. As wonderwoman said it would be helpful to know how many in area children have passed. A lot of children take the exams for both Caistor and KEVIGS and so the numbers may not be as disheartening as they first seem. It would be useful for you to know what the lowest score offered out of area last year was. You may find if you ring the school direct on Monday that they can offer a bit further guidance.

As a really rough guide generally the mark for getting into KEVIGS will be lower than that required for Caistor; the mark required for KEVIGS may well end up lower than the average out of area mark at this stage and if you have strong reasons for needing the school an appeal stands a slightly higher chance.
KITTY CAT

Post by KITTY CAT »

My letter from King Edward said "nearly three hundred pupils sat the test for 120 places. Of those three hundred, and at the time of writing this letter, 101 children in catchment and 66 from the out of catchment* have reached the required standard. Once again this means that for those living out of catchment K.E. will be oversubscribed for entry into year 7 for Sept. 2011.

At present our admissions policy gives priority by rank order to those children who live in catchment first. After this, the remaining free places (normally about 30-40), are given out in rank order to those who live out of catchment. It is particularly important that you now read the following information carefully before completing the Common Application Form.

Candidate Name: ************
Result of Test: Has reached the required standard for entry into Grammar School
Level of Pass**

Well above average Above average Average Below average Boderline Pass

This year's average out of catchment standardised score was: 247 out of 280
The minimum standardised score required for entry is: 220

** Please note the lever of pass relates to the 66 out of catchment pupils not the entire cohort, i.e. where your child's score is compared to other out of catchment children.

We would recommend that in order to give ******** a chance of a place at K.E. you now complete the Common Application Form", etc. etc.

Note: My daughter's letter - "below average" was highlighted.

Don't understand the bit about 101 children passed in catchment, 120 places available that would only leave 19 places available for out of catchment, wouldn't it? Letter states that there are normally 30-40 places available?