A novice to the 11 plus!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lesley

A novice to the 11 plus!

Post by lesley »

Hi there. I have a son with Aspbergers Syndrome. We live in an area that does not have the 11 plus and I am afraid it is totally confusing me! We are moving area to be near my husbands work and would be in the catchement area for two good grammer schools.
We have been told our son is bright enought to pass the 11 plus. I would love him to have the chance to go but don't know what to do. He is on the special needs register but does not have a statement. I don't even know when or where he can take the exam - or if he has to take it at the same time as every one else. Any bit of guidence would be so much appreciated. Thank you :?:
SJ

Post by SJ »

Dear Lesley

Welcome to the site and don't worry there are lots of us here that have children with the same condition and have gone through the 11+ procedure in Lincolnshire, some of us not living in the catchment for the grammar schools, but still applying as out of catchment.

First of all how old is your son and what year is he in now? Which two grammar schools are you hoping to apply to? Have you got the prospectus from each of these schools?

If you contact the schools direct they will advise of the date and times that the exams will be completed. This year was the first time that Lincolnshire incorporated Non Verbal Reasoning. On the 9.9.06 they sat Verbal Reasoning and Maths and on 16.9.06 they sat Non Verbal Reasoning and English. Some grammar schools in Lincolnshire do not sit the Maths and English, but Spalding Grammar did, but they only use these papers if they are a borderline case. The VR and NVR are set by NFER Nelson

The results were received by the primary schools approx 1-2 weeks prior to us receiving the results on 14.10.06.

The VR reasoning paper was 100 questions over 50 minutes and the NVR paper had 4 sections to it, each section being between 16-18 questions each with 8 minutes to complete(this is what my son said) Be aware that the NFER NVR practice papers that you can purchase are 5 sections with 12 questions in each section with 6 minutes to complete.

Will your son be changing primary schools if you are moving or not?

If you post specific queries or concerns that you have then maybe I can be of more help rather than overloading you with information that you do not require.

With regard to actually sitting the test, Spalding Grammar were exceptionally good and allowed those that had Aspergers Syndrome to sit the exam in a room with only a couple of other people in it if that is what they preferred and were very supportive in making sure that they did everything to ensure that the boys could give their best performance.