Standardised scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Andy100

Standardised scores

Post by Andy100 »

Hi
I am new to the website so i apologise if this question has been covered before.
My son is sitting his 11+ in Lincolnshire and has been getting a constant score of 85 - 88 in his verbal reasoning practice exams. I know there are alot of factors affecting the actual standardised score but would you know how his practice exam results would have transalated into a standardised score from last years tests?
Thanks
Alex

Re: Standardised scores

Post by Alex »

Standardisation tables are not readily available, so I am not sure that you will find anyone who is able to answer this question for sure.

It also rather depends on how near the practice papers he is taking are to the real thing. When you say he is scoring 85 - 88, is this a percentage mark?

I think, but I cannot say for certain, so treat this with caution, that somewhere around 71 out of 100 raw score would have achieved 110 for the oldest children in the normal age cohort last year. If the practice tests he is taking are a good reflection of the real tests in type and difficulty then I think he would achieve 110 comfortably any year if he can reproduce that score in the real thing.

I have moved this thread into Lincolnshire.
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

I have to say...

I really struggle to understand how Standardisation will affect DD, as she is 10yrs and 4mths will she get more marks than the older children?

D
Alex

Post by Alex »

Desperado99 wrote:I have to say...

I really struggle to understand how Standardisation will affect DD, as she is 10yrs and 4mths will she get more marks than the older children?

D
She will need to attain fewer raw marks than an older child to reach the same same standardised score. How many fewer marks will vary somewhat from year to year and from test to test as age standardisation depends on the actual differential in the marks scored between children of different ages in the cohort in a particular exam.

Theoretically if the children with August birthdays were scoring the same average as children with September birthdays in a test, then there might be no difference in the scores needed to attain a particular standardised mark - but invariably younger children score less on average, so age standardisation works so as not to disadvantage the younger children.
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

:D Thanks Alex :D

You are the font of all knowledge, as always :lol:

:D I shall have to think of more daft questions for you :D

D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now