What will the letter say?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Boopy

What will the letter say?

Post by Boopy »

Hi, can anyone advise what the letter will say? Do they give the child's score or just pass/fail? thanks!!
hermanmunster

Re: What will the letter say?

Post by hermanmunster »

bit of info here Boopy - looks like it depends on the school:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 21&t=22103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

The Kings (Grantham) letter in 2009 read as follows:

NOTIFICATION OF 11+ RESULTS

I write further to your son's participation in the 11+ testing procedure and confirm that his scores in the tests are as follows:

Test 1 ***

Test 2 ***

Total Score ***

The minimum qualifying standard for admission to this grammar school is a total score of 220 in the tests.........

Ours read on to regretfully inform us that DS1 had not reached the required standard...this time we're hoping for much better things.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone :|
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Now I am really nervous!!!!
Don't think I will sleep tonight - DS is chilled completely :D
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

Same here, DS wants to go to the sorting office in the morning as our post doesn't usually arrive until 1ish. I'm inclined to give it a go as I don't think I'll last the morning otherwise!
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

Thank you callyj20, my DS sat the test for Carres. One of the parents from last year says it is quite harsh if you haven't passed - we'll see tomorrow!
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

Just wanted to update this while I remember, for the people next year who might be wondering how the letter is worded.

This is what we received from KEVIGS (in a white windowed envelope):

Dear.....

Candidate Name: .......

I am pleased to tell you that in the recent entrance testing for the Lincolnshire Consortium of Grammar Schools Name has passed the entrance test. At the time of writing this letter 78 children living in catchment and 61 from out of cachment reached the required standard for entry to King Edward VI Grammar School - this means that 139 children have passed the test for 120 available places.

It then goes on to explain the admissions policy.

DD also received a certificate in a separate brown envelope addressed to her.

It's my understanding that those who don't qualify will receive their standardised score in their letter.

:D Hope this helps the future peeps on the forum :D
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

Wow, it must be so hard not knowing your score and if you have any chance of getting in? At least with Kings they give you a score so you have an idea of whether or not they will get a place.

For anyone wanting to know what the Kings PASS letter says, our letter read as follows:

NOTIFICATION OF 11+ RESULTS

The selection procedure for entry to the Lincolnshire Grammar Schools has now been completed and I am pleased to inform you that your son has achieved the minimum required standard for entry to The Kings School at the beginning of the Autumn Term 2012, a score of 220/282. His scores in the test are as follows:

Test 1 ***

Test 2 ***

Total Score ***

It goes on to give dates of the school place offers from the local authority and confirmation from Kings itself.
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

As we're in catchment (KEVIGS) based on the figures DD will get in, no problem. I agree though, it much be really worrying for those out of catchment, not even knowing their own score.

In other years they've given an indication as to whether it's a borderline/average/high pass but another parent told me that as the pass rate was low this year they haven't done so.
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

For future info this is what our letter said, sent from Carre's Grammar in an A5 windowed envelope.

It was 1 sheet of paper and it read:

Dear Mr & Mrs .....

Notification of 11+ Results - (Childs name)

Further to your son's participation in the 11+ testing process, I am pleased to inform you that he has reached the qualifying standard for admission to this Grammar School. The minimum qualifying standard for admission is a total of 220 in the tests. His standardisation score is .......

It then goes on to say that it isn't an offer of a place and that we may wish to use this information in deciding whether to include Carres on our common application form.

:)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now