NFER Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ray O

Support

Post by Ray O »

SJ

We are currently living in Huntingdon but expect to move to Sleaford/Grantham area this Summer. My daughter is 5th year and we have registered her for the 11+ this Sep. Her current Primary offers no support for the 11+ so we are trying hard to get het in the swing. We feel a bit disadvantaged knowing that Primary schools in Lincs offer 11+ clubs and tuition etc.
Can you recommend a tutor that can pass on some useful techniques? We are willing to travel and we want to give her every chance.

Ray
jellywobble

Lincs support

Post by jellywobble »

Ray,
Dont feel disadvantaged.
I dont know where you get this idea that Lincs primaries do loads of 11+ work - but in my experience they dont.

My son is a yr 7 at grammar , and daughter is curently yr5, hoping to follow after 11+ in September 07. We found that the primary school followed the rule of NO prior tuition.

You sound like a very supportive parent, so some time spent going through the commercially available tests will be good preparation.

Good luck.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I would second what jellywobble has said. Lincolnshire is not a fully selective county so loads of children take the 11 plus from outside of the Grammar school areas, and also from out of County. I think that the vast majority of schools within the selective areas follow the correct policy of only doing the required practice papers with the children.

Yes, some children are tutored, but lots are not and get through with the help, practice and encouragement from parents, and some bright sparks get through with no input at all! Most of the people who have written on this website have practised with their children at home rather than used a tutor.
Ray O

Tutoring

Post by Ray O »

Thanks all,

We'll press on as we are. She takes a practice test ar Carrs next week so I can get a good assessment of her current performance.

Ray
ANDREW THE POET

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Yes .... I'd second everything that's been said. Good luck here. Lincs isn't ridiculously difficult to gain entry for grammar schools, but I'd certainly suggest working through all the suggestions and materials on this site. If I had just left the process to the school then my son would never have passed the 11+. (The school are, of course, just following guidelines) This site and all the advice on offer is invaluable and essentially gave me the tools to support my son. Few parents admit to extra lessons and support - but very, very many are busy in peparation for this October's exams! Keep posting and asking - there will always be someone here to support!
Andrew
PS .... BUY THE SOFTWARE AVAILABLE HERE, RE VERBAL PAPERS. These are fairly tough (more difficult than the actual Lincs 11+), but really do help to increase success rates and offer a fresh approach to sifting through papers.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Ditto,

Just go through as much practice material as recommended in this thread with her. We did not have a tutor and our primary gave no support for 11+ at all, so it was anything we did ourselves.

This site is invaluable and the information contained therein, if you have any specific queries I am sure that there will be someone here who can assist.

Good luck and keep us posted with how things are going.
SJ
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now