How did it go?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adraini

How did it go?

Post by adraini »

Well, first paper (VR) is over and done with!
It's difficult to judge at the moment how it went. Son's view was that it was the hardest VR he had done (more difficult than the NFER pack A) with a few questions thrown in of a different format to the practice papers taken in school last week. Some of his friends thought it was easier!

Anyone had any feedback from their children yet?

Adraini
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Hi there!
One down one to go.... :)
My son said it went better than expected.
Managed to answer all but the last 5 questions which seemed to be the same for all his peers too, so fingers crossed.
He said he didn't want to appear over confident in case he didn't pass but he felt better about passing after the paper than before he took it.
NVR is his strength so we are glad VR one is over with.
Hope next week goes well too.
jellywobble

Monday takers

Post by jellywobble »

Daughter came back from school today saying it went reasonably well, with 5 questions definitely wrong or missed out.

The situation was not ideal as a printer was going all the time in the room, and a classmate spoke to her! I felt proud when she said that she just got on with it. I'm sure that those doing the test at a grammar school get a better (more serious) atmosphere than those at their own primary school.

Anyway, together we guessed (or is that hope) that she has probably got about 85/100, but I've no idea if it will be enough.

The NVR is worse for her, so we shall just have to see how it goes.

Good luck to other forum readers
Midnight

VR

Post by Midnight »

Hello - my first post on here.

My daughter took her VR on Saturday - she is usually very good at these. She said it was easy, BUT she didn't finish - didn't do the last 12 questions! I'm just hoping that the other 88 were right!

We were a bit thrown as all the practices we'd done (NFER 11a-d) had 85 questions, and of course there were 100 in the real thing. I don't suppose that made much difference to her speed, but I'm now really worrying about those unfinished questions - luckily she's not worried...

She is not a strong on the NVR though, so not looking forward to next Saturday!
blissot

Post by blissot »

Daughter came home today on a high. Although the VR test she did today was harder than anything we had done she said she there that she hadn't done before and that she had managed to complete 98 out of the 100 questions and felt confident about her answers. I don't know how she did or anything but I am just pleased that she is pleased with herself as we had tears this morning before the test. Although I have never pressured her I think it all gets a bit much. Not looking forward to NVR next week is it 60 or 65 questions and is it broken down into blocks of time? any advice would be appreciated. :)
adraini

How did it go? VR

Post by adraini »

Son is still a bit down about the VR on Saturday - seems all his friends found it easy although lots of people didn't finish. I think it must have been exam day nerves as he scored high 90%'s in the 2 practice papers.

Not looking forward to NVR as this is his weaker subject.

On the question of the format, I think it is timed blocks of questions. Our paperwork says it is 35 minutes so I think it is similar to NFER papers.

Best of luck to all with the NVR!

Adraini[/i]
Nicwelschick

Post by Nicwelschick »

My son also was unable to finish - left out 10 at the end. i was surprised that there were 100 questions. He seems happy with what he did do though so fingers crossed. Non verbal is his stronger paper sop fingers crossed for next monday

Hope everyone does ok
blissot

Post by blissot »

Thanks for that so it looks like the test is 35 minutes if that for 60 or 65 questions and what number sections are they broken down into. Sorry to sound thick :shock:
Jon

NVR Questions

Post by Jon »

Hi,

first poster here. My son took VR on monday, seems ok. With respect to NVR, I think it's anyones guess how many sections and questions there will be. I've reminded my son that the format may well change on the day but the questions won't. I just keep telling him (that like VR) there's nothing there he can't do, but the examiners may try and catch him out by presenting it differently, so he needs to be flexible.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Last year's NVR had 4 sections, each to be completed in 8 minutes, with 16 questions in 3 of the sections and 17 in a fourth, so 65 questions in all.
As last year was the first year of NVR testing it remains to be seen if the format will be the same this year....