QEHS additional English support

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
messidad

QEHS additional English support

Post by messidad »

Hi, I was looking for a bit of info on additional English support at QEHS. DS has his taster day in July where an assessment will be made to determine whether he needs additional English support. I suspect he will be identified as requiring support (5c writing, 5b reading, 5a (sitting 6) maths) and I think he would really benefit from it. I wondered if anyone new what form the assessment takes and how pupils are given the additional support, extra lessons etc... Thanks
Stocky

Re: QEHS additional English support

Post by Stocky »

Hi Messidad - DD and DS (year 8 and 7 respectively) say they both did a spelling test and an English Comprehension on taster day, you get sent a letter by first class post the day after taster day, if this support is recommended. I found this out as on the new parents evening, as enquired about DD and they told me what happens and that I would have heard by now. The support, is explained in the parents bit of the pack they bring home after taster day, but noone with level 5's in DD or DS's class got identified as requiring it.
messidad

Post by messidad »

Thanks Stocky, I'll see how things go for him then. Maybe I'm too old but sometimes when I'm talking with him he's a bit street, too cool for school and I wonder about the level he's at, it's probably me :)
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

messidad wrote:I suspect he will be identified as requiring support (5c writing, 5b reading, 5a (sitting 6) maths) and I think he would really benefit from it.
Why would you think he requires support? There are plenty of pupils arriving at grammar schools with level 3s, particularly in writing - those are the pupils that require support.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

wonderwoman wrote:
messidad wrote:I suspect he will be identified as requiring support (5c writing, 5b reading, 5a (sitting 6) maths) and I think he would really benefit from it.
Why would you think he requires support? There are plenty of pupils arriving at grammar schools with level 3s, particularly in writing - those are the pupils that require support.
Please forgive the musings of a complete outsider, but I have to say I'm not sure which concept I'm boggling more over: worrying because one's DC is 'only' a level 5 - even a GS entrant - or 'plenty' of GS entrants not even having reached level 4 in something at KS2.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
messidad

Post by messidad »

Please forgive the musings of a complete outsider, but I have to say I'm not sure which concept I'm boggling more over: worrying because one's DC is 'only' a level 5 - even a GS entrant - or 'plenty' of GS entrants not even having reached level 4 in something at KS2.
Apologies for boggling your mind, I'm completely inexperienced at this and just wondered how the additional support worked and wondered whether he might benefit. I'm not worried about his levels in English I was just curious.

As I intimated in my post, maybe I expect to much from him and it would seem that yes 'it's definitely me'

:)
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

ToadMum wrote:Please forgive the musings of a complete outsider, but I have to say I'm not sure which concept I'm boggling more over: worrying because one's DC is 'only' a level 5 - even a GS entrant - or 'plenty' of GS entrants not even having reached level 4 in something at KS2.
It's not unusual at all, more go with level 3 writing than maths. And even more who fail to secure a qualifying score for grammar, gain good level 5s across the board. A few years ago we had very odd 11+ results - most of the secure levels 5 (some were level 5 in Y5) were unsuccessful in the 11+ and some who sneaked into level 4 in Y6 were successful in 11+.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

In both DD's and DS's forms everyone got level 4's, 5's or 6's.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Stocky wrote:In both DD's and DS's forms everyone got level 4's, 5's or 6's.
Being just a bit curious, I did have a look at some Lincs selective schools on the gov.uk website and certainly the cohorts I looked at had no children classified as "low attainers" i.e. below level 4 on entry.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have to agree with you Toadmum - if there are children getting into GS with Level 3s then a) I would eat my hat and b) I would be assuming the levels of tutoring in the county were expedential if kids were passing the 11+ but not achieving the minimum requirement set by the Government!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now