Help Needed Planing an 11+ Campaign

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
carraway

Help Needed Planing an 11+ Campaign

Post by carraway »

Hi everyone

I need some ideas on planning the best strategy for my slightly reluctant daughter to start some serious 11 plus practice.
In an ideal world I possibly wouldn't do much/any tuition but the non-grammar schools in the area are not very appealing.

I have heard that this year the tests are no longer going to be in primary schools, which will put extra pressure on.

If anyone could share their ideas/ timetables /methods. I really need some inspiration.

I did tutor my son and that was easy as he was really keen to learn and could see why. My daughter is much more 'head in the clouds' and a summer baby too

This time round I am finding it daunting.

Thanks
Alex

Re: Help Needed Planing an 11+ Campaign

Post by Alex »

I was never organised enough to plan a "campaign" but I do think if children are not motivated by the tests themselves (I did have one of 4 who really liked doing them - but we only had about 3 weeks notice of her tests so she didn't have time to get bored!) then you have to find something else to make them worthwhile the effort you want them to put in. For some children this might be you spending the time with them (some children really like "racing" their parent through a section or doing them together to start with); for others they like to see a concrete reward for the effort (not for the achievement) in the form of a small treat - small chocolate bar or time watching favourite video/playing favourite game etc.

I think it is important not to do too much too early - save "serious" practice on whole tests for later on and concentrate on making it enjoyable learning the different elements bit by bit to start with.
carraway

Post by carraway »

Hi

Thanks Alex

She is generally uninspired and not very 'bribe-able'

I wondered if I could create some sort of tick list that she could see the work going down would that help.

" Look you have already practised 14 of the 21 verbal questions you may need to know!"

The time seems to be rushing away and I spend more time trying to persuade her that actually doing!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I have 2 sets of practice papers. For all 4 of my children I did the first set in 10 min chunks. the next set as a whole paper. This was in the summer holiday before the tests. 2 of my DC were fine about that amount of practice and 2 really moaned - a lot!

For me it is just about familiarisation and getting up to speed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now