Failure to finish test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lildaisy

Failure to finish test

Post by lildaisy »

After a hugely stressful lead up, my very capable daughter, mis-timed the test and only got to question 65 with 5 minutes to go. In home practices she had always had 8-10 mins spare so this was a huge shock.
Assuming she got approx. 76-78% of the first 65 correct (in line with her general performance) and at least some of remaining 15 correct through luck and random chance - is it possible she could pass?

we are sick with worry but trying to remain calm for her
Alex

Re: Failure to finish test

Post by Alex »

The best advice possible is to keep calm and do her best on the next test - remember the marks are aggregated so she can make up a little ground if she does well in the NVR.

An extremely rough guide would suggest that most years you need approximately 75% overall, but it is a very rough estimate only.

Good luck for the next bit.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Well done to your daughter for keeping her head and using her remaining five minutes to complete an answer for each one of the 15 remaining questions.

That strategy has given her the maximum possible chance of success under the circumstances and I really hope it reaps dividends for her.

It could have been worse. The urge to try and work out a few more questions in that time would have been strong but she did the right thing and finished the paper which was the most important thing to do.

Please praise her for doing that and reassure her that there would have been others who would have left the answers blank and she will do better than them.

She needs to keep calm for the next hurdle and make sure her timings work better. I hope her ability to respond to the situation so well will help her in the next paper. Let us know how she gets on. DG
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hi there, yes just to echo what everyone else has said, just keep focused and as calm as possible for this weekend, as dependant on the VR result there is every chance your DD can make up the marks this weekend with a strong NVR paper. Good Luck and keep us posted.
lildaisy

Post by lildaisy »

Thanks all.

Everyone is much calmer now and DD has said she feels confident she picked up a good score despite the stress.
Her NVR isn't always as strong but we are going into it calmer :D
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

Didn't see this earlier or I might have hoped to reassure you.
My daughter didn't complete a whole page of questions when she did VR (wasn't multiple choice then, 4 years ago, so no lucky guessing). But I know she tended to have a 100% rate on those she did. Still, had only completed about 80% of the test. She was fine at NVR. Pulled in 263 overall mark, so couldn't have been too shabby on the VR! So it can work out ok.
lildaisy

Post by lildaisy »

SHE PASSED :lol:
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

Well done, Lildaisy's daughter! So did mine!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Well done! So pleased it all worked out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now