Skegness Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
skeggy

Skegness Grammar School

Post by skeggy »

Apparently this school doesn't require their boarders to take a formal examination to gain a place at the school.

The school doesn't begin it's appeals process until April - May time. Is this to enable them to fill places with fee paying boarders? :(
Apial

Boarding at Skegness Grammar

Post by Apial »

I understand that only 85 or so pupils have passed the 11+ this year. The school has an intake of 132 and will be offering these spare places to the appeals panel to give to worthy appellants. I doubt that all the places will be filled.

Skegness has an catchment area that is covered by 50% of North Sea and draws pupils from further afield by taking boarders. These boarders must still pass the exam or be given a place on appeal.

Skegness Grammar has been reported by Ofsted to have an intake that is lower in ability than most grammar schools, yet produces top A/AS and GCSE scores. It has again got the highest Lincolnshire CVA score this year.

Boarding at Skegness Grammar is currently £2040 a term, which is reasonable compared to Public School charges. The boarding house only has around 50-60 boarders, which is a small proportion of the 800 pupils that attend. The usual intake for Y7 is around 8. As there are around 47 places to allocate still, the boarding house intake will not make any difference.

This situation is very different from inland grammar schools that are on the borders of areas without selective education. These grammar schools suffer from chronic oversubscription, and in effect this raises the ability of the average intake to as much as the top 15%. Caistor Grammar is a prime example.

If you can't get in to one of these schools then you might consider a boarding place at Skegness as your only option. I understand that Skegness are planning an extension of the boarding house, and this might alleviate the problem of falling roll numbers caused by smaller population numbers.