HKNIOS HELP - PLEASE!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ANDREW THE POET

HKNIOS HELP - PLEASE!

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Phew ... just spent many a 'happy' evening trawling through the wonderful information here. However, on HKNIOS I'm confused. My son is to sit the VR test for Lincs this autumn. I'm told that the HKNIOS-type questions can be disgregarded. However, others suggest that these may be included and that they're only omitted from the familiarisation papers themselves. I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to this. As it's only two weeks to the 'big' day and we're not exactly sailing towards success, any help or advice would be wonderful!
Thank you to anyone!
Andrew
a@wackyverse.com
Sorry, originally posted this in wrong place.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Dear Poet,

HIKNOS is a categorisation introduced by an eleven plus publisher called IPS; who assigned letters of the alphabet to identify different question types.

However the link below is equally valid, this is a similar categorisation introduced by The Tutors:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/vr-que ... region.php

If you need to see examples of each of these types of questions you can try 5 questions of each by looking at the DEMO for verbal reasoning CD volume 1 (also by The Tutors).

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/

I tried the CD for our daughter and her verbal reasoning improved dramatically.

Post by Guest »

Hi Andrew,

I don't know if anyone has an absolutely definitive answer about HIKNOS. However both of my children thought that HIKNOS type questions had been included in the practice and the real tests (daughter took the real thing last year and son has taken the practice tests for this year). Both also mentioned other types not included in the NFER published papers - these were anagrams, word grids and mixed number and letter codes. I only have what they have told me to rely on. The very first thread on the Lincolnshire threads has a message from someone who got to see their child's practice paper last year and says that there were HIKNOS type questions and others included in them.

IPS papers include HIKNOS types and are very similar in layout to the NFER ones so are good for practice. Really the HIKNOS type questions are very similar to some of the other types so, so long as your child has been having some practice at the NFER type questions then it should be enough just to familiarise him with the extra types so he is not thrown by seeing something in an unfamiliar format.

This year there is the NVR test to balance the VR one which may help the children who are not so hot on the vocab etc - I suspect it may swing the advantage a little more towards the boys???

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Sara
ANDREW THE POET

HKNIOS THANKS

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Hi Sara and Gary,
Many thanks indeed for a rapid and full response. This is much appreciated. I know that this subject has been mentioned many times within this forum; I was just trying to clarify matters without worrying my son. Anyway, thank you for the fantastic advice. NV should certainly help as my son scores 88% - 95% on these and throws up answers quicker than I can. He can do much of the verbal - but needs about 1 and a half hours to complete the paper. As such, his timed marks are never more than 64% ish. So, we're clearly on sticky ground! Thankfully there is a 'good' alternative to the grammar - albeit 10 miles away!
Have a good weekend! Andrew
Andrew Collett
www.wackyverse.com
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now