Good Luck

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

angelz

Good Luck

Post by angelz »

To all boys and girls taking the 11+ in Lincs tomorrow, the very best of luck and to all parents, be reassured it will all be over soon!!!! :lol:

Angelz
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Best of luck to your son, angelz. Hope it goes really well :D

Post by Guest »

Thank you Angelz - all the best to you as well!!

Sara
sarah

Post by sarah »

Thankyou Angelz,best of luck to your son too!Our son sits his on Monday...two more days of nailbiting!! :evil: Good luck everyone!!

Post by Guest »

THANK YOU .....
Here's a bizarre thing - Spalding High School for Girls and the Boys' Grammar are taking the same exam: NV & V. However, the two schools are taking the SAME papers on different days - each a week apart. Although the NV pre-information won't be a great help, there's loads of scope here for boys (who take the verbal a week before the girls) to offer the girls lots of info' on the types of question to focus on. My son took the verbal exam yesterday and was able to recount the types of question which were not used - as well as to inform me of a few surprises which we ourselves hadn't covered. Perhaps this isn't a massive advantage, but such snippets of information could be enough to tip the balance for someone. Seems most ODD to me!?! Is this usual?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

This is certainly usual in Bucks, independent schools/children out of county all take their tests after Bucks state schools and guess what, it's the same tests!

In addition, if a child is ill on the day, they can take it at a later date, the SAME paper

I am sure children cannot remember the ACTUAL questions [well, maybe some], but yes they can remember the types.

What were the surprises?

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Good Morning Patricia!
Re Spalding's exams, I think that the surprises were a lack of the famous code questions (although there were one or two) and a focus on completing sums with only the result to work with. The latter is a varation of previously-covered formats, although we have never spotted such an approach before. There were no EJ is to AE as PB is to etc etc - these seemed to have featured on every practice paper available. We pain-stakingly went through the higher level vocabularly which is such a feature of the IPS papers - earnest, tranquil etc - but there was no attempt to employ these or anything similar. As such, my son completed the test in 40 minutes where he had been taking 65 mins in the practice papers. Of course, we'll have to see what his result is to guage his experience fully!!! Oh, and no inclusion of those horrid three number lines where you have to discover the product in the middle by using a number operation on the left and right numbers. Also, no compound words at all to work with.

Post by Guest »

I am led to believe that the parents of the girls attending Spalding High were made aware of the fact that they would be sitting NVR first during w/c 4.9.06 as the papers stated that they were test 1.

The boys sat VR yesterday and where my son had been taking 40 minutes to complete the practice papers and getting on average 90% he did not finish the paper, leaving the last 3 and not completing 2 of the questions as he thought he would have time to go back to them.

I was somewhat disappointed with this fact especially as he said he had to go to the toilet during the exam when I had expressly asked him on numerous occasions whilst waiting for the exam to start, to try to go prior to the exam and the attending teacher also asked them all on 3 if not more occasions.

A disappointing day when I know he has the ability and yet again his lack of confidence in his own ability has got the better of him. I know that it is not the end of the world, but I cant help feeling that all of the effort to make sure that he was prepared has been a waste of time and yet again the 'bullies' that have consistently told him since reception class that he was 'not good enough' and that is a polite version, have won again.

I really dont know how I am going to turn this attitude around.
angelz

Post by angelz »

Dear Guest
It sounds to me as though your son could potentially done very well. As I understand you, he missed a total of 5 questions. If he has answered well on the questions he completed, he could have passed the paper very well.

I understand your frustration, it is very difficult to see your children suffer like this at the hands of bullies, but I think you really need to help your child build his confidence, by showing him your positive attitude towards his achievement. Dont forget how far your child has come this year,h in mastering enough of the work to be averaging 90% on practice papers. He still has the NVR paper and if he feels you are happy with how he performed, he will go into the next test with the knowledge that you believe in him.

Good luck to both of you I really hope your son does well.
angelz

Post by Guest »

angelz wrote:Dear Guest
It sounds to me as though your son could potentially done very well. As I understand you, he missed a total of 5 questions. If he has answered well on the questions he completed, he could have passed the paper very well.

I understand your frustration, it is very difficult to see your children suffer like this at the hands of bullies, but I think you really need to help your child build his confidence, by showing him your positive attitude towards his achievement. Dont forget how far your child has come this year,h in mastering enough of the work to be averaging 90% on practice papers. He still has the NVR paper and if he feels you are happy with how he performed, he will go into the next test with the knowledge that you believe in him.

Good luck to both of you I really hope your son does well.
angelz
Thanks for this angela I have tried to boost his confidence in various ways and always try to praise the positive and discuss the negative rather than making a real issue out of it. I believe in his abilities and that is why I get frustrated with bullies etc etc as they have such a damaging effect on him. He has had verbal bullying ever since starting school but also physical bullying to contend with aswell, not just inside but oustide of school of school from the same people at his local clubs/groups so it has not been easy.

In the practice papers sat at school he was top of those who took it, but because of that he got a lot of 'bad vibes' from the others and also some members of our family have told him that a grammar school is not for him as he would be a fish out of water. They don't think he should go to a grammar school that he should go to the local school around the corner, so I am not only fighting bullies, but also negativity in the family with regard to what might be best for him in the long term.

I am not bothered whether he goes to a grammar school or not, I want him to go to a school where they are going to nurture his abilities and him as an individual and at the moment I am unsure as to which school is best for him. I have not been able to see the local school yet and so have been unable to look at this school with him and discuss all of his opinions and mine, his feelings and mine about all of the schools and make an informed decision. I just wanted him to have all the options available to him and at the moment both he and I feel that one of the local grammar schools are the best options.

He is tenacious, can be very caring and mature on occasions, can be easily led but can also be extremely focused and is a very deep thinker and When asked to explain what he thought heaven and **** represented, he replied " Your life is your heaven and ****. You are here to help others and achieve(your heaven) and to learn lessons from mistakes you have made or from others and to loose those you care about(your ****).

I just hope that he has done well so that this isn't another blow to his confidence.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now