RESULTS DAY!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ANDREW THE POET

THORNEY

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Like the website SJ ......... I used to teach at THE DUKE OF BEDFORD school myself, re Thorney - '91-'97
Sorry to everyone else ..... the latter is, of course, of no consequence/interest to anyone else. Clearly, I'm prone to rambling on this, our pre-results day!

Post by Guest »

Hi,

We tried phoning for results today but no go! Have to wait for the post.

Re Spalding criteria: The 220 marks is the minimum entry requirement. It does not guarantee you a place even if you are "in area" if there is oversubscription from within area. However, there has not been any oversubscription from within area for a long time so you are vitually sure of a place if you pass and live in the area (assuming there are no huge demographic blips this year). If there were to be oversubscription from within area then the minimum score for entry would be raised. The "designated transport area" can be obtained from the school or from the county council admissions department. Once all the successful candidates from in area have been given places then out of area applicants are considered. Places up to the PAN are allocated in score order. If there is oversubscription then there is a reserve list and the scores on English and maths tests come into play to distinguish between otherwise equal ranking applicants. There is no preference for siblings either in or out of area.

Does this help or is it as obscure as the school's own blurb??!!

Sara

Post by Guest »

A postscript about "in area" for Spalding GS. In area means living within the school's "Designated Transport Area". This is defined by the County Council and the school will hold a list of the towns and villages contained within it, or you can get it direct from the council admissions dept. ( If you live in Lincolnshire, are in the designated transport area and live more than 3 miles from the school you will get free transport.)

Sara
ANDREW THE POET

THANKS!

Sara ......... what would I do without you? Thank you for another in-depth and thoroughly useful reply! The point about there not having been oversubscription for many years is really useful. I haven't been able to find anyone able to commit to a g'tee of entry purely on a pass mark. Fairly sure we're in catchment - although the school isn't listed for transport purposes. We're in Cowbit PE12 with Glede Boys and one in Crowland being the only two detailed.

Heh ..... good luck Sara
Bye
Andrew

Re: THANKS!

Post by Guest »

ANDREW THE POET wrote:Sara ......... what would I do without you? Thank you for another in-depth and thoroughly useful reply! The point about there not having been oversubscription for many years is really useful. I haven't been able to find anyone able to commit to a g'tee of entry purely on a pass mark. Fairly sure we're in catchment - although the school isn't listed for transport purposes. We're in Cowbit PE12 with Glede Boys and one in Crowland being the only two detailed.

Heh ..... good luck Sara
Bye
Andrew
Andrew

You would have thought that you were in catchment, but the school will be listed on the letter that accompanied your CAF if you are in catchment. This is usually 1 grammar and 1 non-grammar.

Post by Guest »

Hi Andrew,

The two schools listed on your CAF letter are both Sec Mods aren't they? I am not sure how the designated transport areas work, but it seems a bit odd that in a selective school area you do not get a grammar school listed. If you want to be sure ring the school or the schools' transport dept for the county.

Sara

PS I enjoyed your poems on the website. Think you should turn your talents to a suitable ode on the 11plus experience!! (A good dose of irreverence would be a definite selling point)
ANDREW THE POET

Worse Verse

Checked and double-checked & Spalding Grammar is in certainly in our area .......... as would seem to make sense as it's only 3.5 miles away! So, thanks again Sara.
Glad you liked the poems Sara - I gave-up my job as a teacher to work in schools as a poet and have been doing so now for ten years. I've written loads of books but am still poor. All of which is of no particular interest to you good folk reading this with a view to tomorrow's 11+ results. However, if you are a teacher then my site is full of free resources ... no plug intended - the stuff is FREE: www.wackyverse.com
Yep, maybe I should scribe a poem for the 11+ site and, perhaps, the regular characters who frequent these forums ... Sara??!
Bye for now .... 'see you' in the morning!
Andrew
SJ

Re: THORNEY

Post by SJ »

ANDREW THE POET wrote:Like the website SJ ......... I used to teach at THE DUKE OF BEDFORD school myself, re Thorney - '91-'97
Sorry to everyone else ..... the latter is, of course, of no consequence/interest to anyone else. Clearly, I'm prone to rambling on this, our pre-results day!
Thanks Andrew
SJ

Post by SJ »

What time does everyone's post arrive on a Saturday? Ours normally arrives about noon.
ANDREW THE POET

RESULT!

My letter says ..........
PASS!
Your son has reached the required standard to qualify for admission .....
To secure a place for your son at our school you will now need to list SGS as your preference ...
So, sounds all watertight to me .... no mention of passing but having to wait until March for a final decision.

HOPE YOU LOVELY FOLK GET THE SAME!!!
Going to buy my son something expensive!
Post at 7:00 AM - thanks Royal Mail
Andrew
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now