A little help needed in understanding these scores...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Annie

A little help needed in understanding these scores...

Post by Annie »

Argh! I wish I'd found this site *before* we started the whole 11+ rollercoaster with my son!

To cut a long story short, we did the best we could on our own and with the help of a neighbour who does tutoring, it paid off! We heard on Saturday that our son had passed :-)

I phoned our first choice (Carre's) this morning, and they told me that his exact score was 242.

I'm finding it a little difficult to understand how these scores work - I guess I was expecting a percentile score, and not having a basis for comparison, I really don't know if this is a good or average score.

I guess this is the penalty for approaching this examination on one's own - I really don't have anyone who can explain the scoring scales to me...

Can anyone help?

Re: A little help needed in understanding these scores...

Post by Guest »

Annie wrote:Argh! I wish I'd found this site *before* we started the whole 11+ rollercoaster with my son!

To cut a long story short, we did the best we could on our own and with the help of a neighbour who does tutoring, it paid off! We heard on Saturday that our son had passed :-)

I phoned our first choice (Carre's) this morning, and they told me that his exact score was 242.

I'm finding it a little difficult to understand how these scores work - I guess I was expecting a percentile score, and not having a basis for comparison, I really don't know if this is a good or average score.

I guess this is the penalty for approaching this examination on one's own - I really don't have anyone who can explain the scoring scales to me...

Can anyone help?
Annie

Nice to hear your good news.

If you go to the 11+ advice section on this site and proceed to the section on standardised scores, there is a link there to the nfer site which gives a pretty good explanation of standardised scores.

According to this, your result was at the 92nd percentile rank - so very good.

Hope this helps.

D
ANDREW THE POET

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Glad your school is offering scores - I think most are! 242 is a solid pass so you should be home and dry!
Congratulations!
Andew
Annie

Post by Annie »

Many thanks! I now have no concerns about sticking the local comprehensive at the bottom of my preferences list :-)

I'm really pleased for my son - he has put up with years and years of negativity from his teacher (problem with a small village school - a personality clash lasts for the child's entire primary career), so finally having something solid and tangible to show him that he *is* bright, and *is* getting a result from working so hard... It's simply priceless.

I have a little boy who finally believes me when I tell him how wonderful he is :-)

Post by Guest »

Annie ....
I know exactly where you're coming from, re problems with primary schools. My son has always been considered as 'poor'. Indeed, he's 'stuck' in the lower groups for core subjects. His success this week was met with dire warnings from his school that he'd now have to work harder rather than a congratulation on his achievements. The latter has been a typical response to any success throughout his school. His score was well, well above pass mark.
I post a great deal on here, but this one's anonymous as I do have something of a conflict of interest in the educational world ....
Anyway .... well done to you all Annie
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now