Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:05 pm 

Hi
Just a general query about appeals. If you are unfortunate enough to have to go to appeal I have heard that the panel looks at examples of the child's work to help make their assessment.

Can anybody tell me what work they look at? Firstly is it the work produced by the child at the time of the 11+ exam (usually in the first term of Year 6), or is it their work produced around the time of the appeal (Easter term of Year 6) - or do the school just put together examples of what they consider to be the pupil's best pieces? If this is the case would it be work just from Year 6 or would there be work from other years as well to show progress?

Any information would be much appreciated as I am hoping to learn much more about this minefield!

Thanks - INONOTHING

PS: Particularly interested in appeals in Medway esp RGS. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:36 am 

In my experience, the Review which take place looks at Math, English and Science work. If unsuccessful at Review and you end up at Appeal, then any work can be submitted.
You mention RGS - you would have to have pretty strong evidence to appeal for RGS as they take the higher scorers and usually have a cut off just above the pass mark. You would have more chance appealing for another Medway school such as Chatham Grammar etc.

Post subject: Appeal
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm 

As I understand it if you go to school review, a selection of school work is submitted by your childs school. Therefore I would be checking with the class teacher that your childs day work is of a good standard of content and presentation.
Be aware though that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the Review process in Medway at the moment, if a child is not successful at review my understanding is that you can not then produce your childs work at the Appeal. If you chose not to go to review - you can produce work at the review. This means you have to be really certain that the quality of your childs work is sound.
With regard to RGS I agree with Medwaymum in that you are unlikely to be successful at appeal as RGS are super selective and normally set there own "pass mark".
Hope this info helps!
Regards red_debs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:36 pm 

Reddebs that is exactly how I understand it too with regard to the Review and/or Appeal. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:42 pm 

Hi, just picking up an element of your thread, does anyone know what the cut off score was for RGS this year? Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:17 am 

The pass mark was 520!

I've sent you a PM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:00 pm 

Hi jnadams2. Haven't received your pm, would you mind re-sending please. Good to meet in person the other day.