Appeals - what work do they look at - Medway?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
INONOTHING

Appeals - what work do they look at - Medway?

Post by INONOTHING »

Hi
Just a general query about appeals. If you are unfortunate enough to have to go to appeal I have heard that the panel looks at examples of the child's work to help make their assessment.

Can anybody tell me what work they look at? Firstly is it the work produced by the child at the time of the 11+ exam (usually in the first term of Year 6), or is it their work produced around the time of the appeal (Easter term of Year 6) - or do the school just put together examples of what they consider to be the pupil's best pieces? If this is the case would it be work just from Year 6 or would there be work from other years as well to show progress?

Any information would be much appreciated as I am hoping to learn much more about this minefield!

Thanks - INONOTHING

PS: Particularly interested in appeals in Medway esp RGS. Thanks.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

In my experience, the Review which take place looks at Math, English and Science work. If unsuccessful at Review and you end up at Appeal, then any work can be submitted.
You mention RGS - you would have to have pretty strong evidence to appeal for RGS as they take the higher scorers and usually have a cut off just above the pass mark. You would have more chance appealing for another Medway school such as Chatham Grammar etc.
reddebs

Appeal

Post by reddebs »

As I understand it if you go to school review, a selection of school work is submitted by your childs school. Therefore I would be checking with the class teacher that your childs day work is of a good standard of content and presentation.
Be aware though that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the Review process in Medway at the moment, if a child is not successful at review my understanding is that you can not then produce your childs work at the Appeal. If you chose not to go to review - you can produce work at the review. This means you have to be really certain that the quality of your childs work is sound.
With regard to RGS I agree with Medwaymum in that you are unlikely to be successful at appeal as RGS are super selective and normally set there own "pass mark".
Hope this info helps!
Regards red_debs
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Reddebs that is exactly how I understand it too with regard to the Review and/or Appeal. :)
fairwaydad

Post by fairwaydad »

Hi, just picking up an element of your thread, does anyone know what the cut off score was for RGS this year? Many thanks.
jnadams2

Post by jnadams2 »

The pass mark was 520!

I've sent you a PM
fairwaydad

Post by fairwaydad »

Hi jnadams2. Haven't received your pm, would you mind re-sending please. Good to meet in person the other day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now