Creative Writing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reddebs

Creative Writing

Post by reddebs »

Hi all
Part of the 11+ test in Medway is a piece of creative writing which can be anything from a story, playscript, diary entry, letter etc.

Has anyone any examples I can use for this part of the test please?

Thanks in Advance
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi Reddebs, what do you mean examples? Previous titles etc...?
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi
yes any ideas of what titles thta have been used for stories, playscripts etc would come in useful.
Many thanks
reddebs
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I can tell you that this year's creative writing task was not a title at all but an opening paragraph of a story which the children had to continue. Characters and setting was already included. I have heard a few years ago a story entitled The Heroine was given (one unfortunate child wrote a fantastic piece about drugs!).
Will see if I can find out any more...
medway222

Post by medway222 »

It may be useful to practice the timing on the creative writing. Last year they had 50 mins to write it, my daughter ran out of time and had to rush her ending, if I was to prepare her again I would practice it in 3 parts, 10 mins concentrating on characters maybe 20 minutes the main plot (if it were a story) and the last 20 mins rounding off to an ending. Hope this is helpful.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Belinda wrote:Hi,
I've had four children do the eleven plus and the process is now over for me.
My advice for preparing for the writing task would be to:
1) Make sure your children know about all the different styles of writing. Keep a folder of (practice) examples. E.g. Autobiography (as though they were someone else!) Biography, Diaries, Journals, Reports, Reviews (film, book, play, pop concert etc), News Reports, Scientific Reports, Instruction manuals, persuasive, argument - the list is endless. All these syles have particular features that should be included - make sure your child knows these!
2) Make sure your child has a very good vocabulary for a whole host of scenarios for story writing. Make sure they include similies, metaphors, personification etc.
3) Make sure they are aware of different genres. E.g. Adventure, Humour, Myth, Horror, Fantasy etc and that they use language appropriate to what they are writing.

If you get them to do one writing piece a week from now they'll have a fantastic folder full of writing styles that they can read over when they go back to school in September!

Good luck to you all - It's a stressful time for everyone but if you plan ahead then your child can go into the writing task feeling confident.
I have been reading back through the creative writing stuff.

Useful old post to bring to the top.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

In 2008 the creative writing task was a story....does anybody have a child that sat the 2009 Medway test? I would be interested to know what the creative writing task was.
superMonkey

Post by superMonkey »

In 2009 it was a first person story of a climax to an event written in the present tense. My DS wrote about him winning the olympic 400m!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Thanks Supermonkey! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now