School open evenings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MedwayMumof1

School open evenings

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

I visited a local non Grammar school last week, preparing to be open minded about things and not wishing to influence my daughter who is adamant she wants to go to a relatively nearby Grammar.

The school did its best to 'big itself' up and put on a good show but quite honestly, it was poles apart from the Grammar we saw last month. One of the teachers we wanted to speak to was quite rude and more intent to tell the pupils assisting him to "shut up" while I tried to ask him a question. His response was diabolical and completely undid much of the good work put in by the rest of the staff/pupils.

We were given a lot of information about the detention system and the fact that there is an isolation room for the naughty children, which concerns me that there might be a problem with behaviour.

As soon as we left the school, my daughters words;(with no prompting from me) "Well, I am not going there" - says it all really and I hope makes her more focused towards her 11+ - At least she has had a chance to compare what's on offer.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I must say we had a similar experience to this a couple of years ago. As soon as we stepped in the door for our tour we was shown the 'green room' which was the isolation room. When I explained that I didn't need to have a look in there as have never had any issues with my child's behaviour, I was given a very sympathetic nod and smile as if to say 'dear me, mum, you are in denial are you?'

:roll:
paulap

Post by paulap »

I know what you mean. We are going to see one on Thursday and I really, really do not want to go but I'm afraid it will tempt fate if I don't. And as it's the only one close to us, I suppose I ought to be prepared for the worst and hope it doesn't happen.