Results - Impact of postal strike

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

collecting them from the council would be a nightmare, as they have nmo customer parking. giving them to the schools is a better idea.
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

I agree with Jenhug. It said in yesterdays Medway News that 2,170 children took the test. Can you imagine the mayhem as everyone arrived, no doubt at the same time, to collect the results. Chatham would come to a standstill, or rather more of a standstill than normal!

Making the children wait until the Monday is unfair as well. Given it is the last day before half term today they really need to make a decision and release it to stop all this worry. I would like to think that headteachers, who by the way know the result before we do, would be prepared to get the results to us on time. Why did they have to strike now? Couldn't they have waited a week or two. The union leaders obviously don't have anyone waiting for 11+ results!!!!!!
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

The following is information we have been given by our school today. This is Medway Council's statement - not very clear or helpful!!!!

“In the event of a further postal strike being called next week, we are looking at contingency plans relating to the issuing of results for the Medway Test.

Results will still be posted out as normal on the Friday and these may be picked up on the Friday afternoon by Royal Mail. We will also be offering parents the opportunity to visit the St George's Centre on Friday afternoon only, to pick up results in person for their child providing they bring suitable identification - i.e. a council tax bill or other bill confirming their address details and are also able to provide their child's full name & date of birth.

In addition they will also be able to check with their relevant school on Monday 2nd November.

As soon as a postal strike is confirmed I will provide our Contact Centre with full details of the venue and times that parents can come and collect results. The number for parents wishing to phone is 01634 331110. I will also ensure that our website is updated with the relevant information & if able to I will also put a message out to the local radio stations.â€
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Admissions advised me that online applicants will receive test results sometime Friday if there is a postal strike.
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

This would seem unfair as we were told that no results would be sent out by email and there would be no advantage by applying on line. We were actually advised by our school, and the Medway Council representative who gave us an 11+ talk, to apply by form to the school. Had we known that results would be available on line I am sure many many more people would have applied this way. I know I would have.

It does appear that Medway Council have no idea what they are doing! The information we have been given was the so called latest statement sent out but it seems to contradict with other information on this forum. I suppose we all just need to pray that the postal workers will see sense and not strike next week or at least if they have to strike, leave it until the following week!
emmajane1

Post by emmajane1 »

trhanks for this. Our school secretary just said she didn't know anything about it !
This is a bit clearer.

Emma
paulap

Post by paulap »

[quote="nearlydone"]The following is information we have been given by our school today. This is Medway Council's statement - not very clear or helpful!!!!

“In the event of a further postal strike being called next week, we are looking at contingency plans relating to the issuing of results for the Medway Test.

Results will still be posted out as normal on the Friday and these may be picked up on the Friday afternoon by Royal Mail. We will also be offering parents the opportunity to visit the St George's Centre on Friday afternoon only, to pick up results in person for their child providing they bring suitable identification - i.e. a council tax bill or other bill confirming their address details and are also able to provide their child's full name & date of birth.

In addition they will also be able to check with their relevant school on Monday 2nd November.

As soon as a postal strike is confirmed I will provide our Contact Centre with full details of the venue and times that parents can come and collect results. The number for parents wishing to phone is 01634 331110. I will also ensure that our website is updated with the relevant information & if able to I will also put a message out to the local radio stations.â€
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

Thats just sounding like a farce to me!
My friend is a union rep for the post office and she has confirmed that the post men will be on strike on saturday, so no deliveries will be taking place.
No info from school has been offered today, so I assume they don't know about this farce going on around them?
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

The letter we had from our school said the statement was 'the latest information we have had from Medway' This was given to the kids at the end of the school day. It really does seem that Medway are playing games with us all. One hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing :!:
polly0494

Post by polly0494 »

[quote="nearlydone"]The following is information we have been given by our school today. This is Medway Council's statement - not very clear or helpful!!!!

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now