paper content vs subjects covered by school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jenhug

paper content vs subjects covered by school

Post by jenhug »

Is it common that there will be subjects in the papers that the children have not covered in school? (I'm talking about the Math paper in particular)
DD said there were subjects in there that she had never been taught at school, but had covered with her tutor some months ago. (luckily!)

Is it common to have "gaps" like that in the education they have recieved at school??
paulap

Re: paper content vs subjects covered by school

Post by paulap »

jenhug wrote:Is it common that there will be subjects in the papers that the children have not covered in school? (I'm talking about the Math paper in particular)
DD said there were subjects in there that she had never been taught at school, but had covered with her tutor some months ago. (luckily!)

Is it common to have "gaps" like that in the education they have recieved at school??
I think this is the case unfortunately. Take VR for instance, our school and I think others too don't even cover it. I know it's not something you can teach as such but an awareness of how to approach/answer the questions would be useful.
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

our school think the VR test is rediculous, so they did booster sessions at 8 am in the run up to the test to go over this. They said its just not a taught subject and they don't see the relevance.

Luckily DD said there was only 3 questions she couldn't answer on the maths paper, just got to hope she got them all right!
louloustrumpet

Post by louloustrumpet »

I think verbal reasoning is included because it's an indicator of the ability to think strategically; finding connections and patterns within sequences, etc (that'll certainly come in handy when they start doing quadratic equations :D ) and I suppose we are lucky that it isn't double weighted. In some areas, VR tests are pretty much all they do. As you say, VR cannot be taught which at least means those who are tutored won't have too much advantage - I don't personally agree with tutoring but have no gripe with anyone who does (I realise reasons for tutoring vary wildly). But VR really is one of those things that you either get or you don't.
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

I wish VR was doubled cos my child was great at it,picked it up quickly etc although what she did on the day still remains to be seen.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

My son just started at his new primary school not that long ago. Apparently all the parents were aware that the 11+ test covered some math that was not covered by the school curriculum at the time - but it is being covered now. I'm assuming as he passed, that he had some of this covered in the once a week 'math club' that they ran at the end of his year 5? Had I known this, I likely would have gotten him some math help for a couple of sessions.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

It appears to me that both the Kent and Medway tests this year didn't cover as much as off-curriculum based maths as they used to....we focused a lot on algebra as it wasn't covered at school yet there were hardly any algebra questons in the papers....maybe the examiners are getting wise and realising that its only the tutored/prepared children who can do these questions which isn't really right I suppose is it?
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

louloustrumpet wrote:As you say, VR cannot be taught which at least means those who are tutored won't have too much advantage - I don't personally agree with tutoring but have no gripe with anyone who does (I realise reasons for tutoring vary wildly). But VR really is one of those things that you either get or you don't.
Don't agree. I think VR is the most "tutorable" of Maths, VR, and NVR. The routines, techniques, and even the vocab, can be drilled into children. Ask those on the Bucks forum, where the 11+ comprises only VR.
louloustrumpet

VR

Post by louloustrumpet »

I still don't think so. Most of the children I know who were tutored, still don't get VR. Some kids (some people) just don't get codes - my husband, for example - even things like Sudoku, he's completely mystified. The analogy type ones are more language based, and I'd concede that those are easier to teach and learn. I think, all told, English is the easiest to tutor for. There are only so many types of writing task, so a reasonable set of exercises; a couple each of reports, letters, persuasive, instructive, informative, creative, etc and a bit of practice at personification, metaphors & similes, alliteration, onomatopoeia, etc and you're off. My daughter is great at VR and maths, but is lazy at English, although her writing is good (it could be great). I feel that the English, if it is to be one task only, shouldn't be double-weighted. If the subject area or format is unfamiliar to the child it could severely scupper their chances.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now