RGS-from East of Maidstone.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dadofkent

RGS-from East of Maidstone.

Post by dadofkent »

OK, now the dust has settled. DD did the Medway test as a backup to the Kent test. Normally we would not have entered her, but there were big problems last year in our area for those that were not deemed selective. She passed the Kent test, and her first choice is MGGS, which should not be a problem. However, if there is, she is not overly keen on our closest GS, which is Invicta, and which is almost walking distance. So it maybe that RGS could be her second choice. I must admit I don't exactly favour children travelling out of area if they have a perfectly good alternative close to hand. But RGS is a very good school that would probably suit DD.

Does anybody's DD travel to RGS from Grove Green/Madginford/Bearsted area. If so how do they find the journey etc.
orangebear4

Post by orangebear4 »

Last year my dd took both Kent and Medway tests (passed both), and at the time we lived in Aylesford. I know it's not your side of Maidstone, but we found a bus that came from Maidstone, through Aylesford, Burham and Eccles to a bus stop near RGS. You would have to pay for it though, which is partly why we made the rather drastic decision to move into Rochester! If you could get your dd into the centre of Maidstone and she got this bus (think it was the 150 something) it wouldn't be a problem. My dd looked at the Maidstone Grammars first and then RGS. Once she had seen RGS there was no way she was going anywhere else! If your dd loves to excel in her academic work, likes music, drama and the arts generally and is happy to conform to high standards RGS is the right place for her. I can't speak highly enough of the school. My other three children all went to Maidstone Grammars so I do have a lot of experience of them, but they are just not in the same league as RGS.
Hope this helps. I realise we are all looking from our own perspective, but I just thought I'd share ours.
goinggrey

Post by goinggrey »

Hi, i'm still fairly new to this forum. Does anybody know if you can apply to MGSG or Invicta even though you are a Medway resident. My DD passed both exams but not sure whether to apply to Kent Grammar schools as well or not. Does anyone know of any successful applications?
Thanks
goingloopy

Post by goingloopy »

goinggrey wrote:Hi, i'm still fairly new to this forum. Does anybody know if you can apply to MGSG or Invicta even though you are a Medway resident. My DD passed both exams but not sure whether to apply to Kent Grammar schools as well or not. Does anyone know of any successful applications?
Thanks
I am fairly sure that you would of had to passed the Kent 11+ to attend a Kent school, that would incl all maidstone schools !!!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

goinggrey wrote:Hi, i'm still fairly new to this forum. Does anybody know if you can apply to MGSG or Invicta even though you are a Medway resident. My DD passed both exams but not sure whether to apply to Kent Grammar schools as well or not. Does anyone know of any successful applications?
Thanks
As long as you have passed the Kent test you can apply. Might fall outside on catchment distance, particularly for MGGS. However, I understand that last year Invicta was not initially over-subscribed.
goinggrey

Post by goinggrey »

Yes, DD passed the Kent 11+ . Just a bit confused as to whether to put MGSG down on medway form or not. Do medway residents get in???
goinggrey

Post by goinggrey »

Thanks dadofkent, just saw the post. Do Medway residents or anyone out of the catchment distance sometimes get lucky then? Sorry, after the result saga this weekend, trying to explain to DD why passing the Kent 11+ doesn't mean she would get into MGSG like some friends who live in Maidstone.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

goinggrey wrote:Thanks dadofkent, just saw the post. Do Medway residents or anyone out of the catchment distance sometimes get lucky then? Sorry, after the result saga this weekend, trying to explain to DD why passing the Kent 11+ doesn't mean she would get into MGSG like some friends who live in Maidstone.
I don't know what the catchment distance is normally, try ringing them. HM did say at open evening that nearly everyone who applied did eventually get in last year.
goinggrey

Post by goinggrey »

Thanks, will try to find out on the open morning in a couple of days.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Dad of kent it sounds like you dont live far from me....The nearest gramma for us is invicta too and I had set my eyes on it....

Now if she will be using a bus then she may need slightly more time. Not sure whereabout you live but not sure if you live near the park and ride? but most of the kids get a bus into town and walk using that rail bridge to MGGS....My guess is it will take at least in hour but she will have friends as they are always in groups so she may happily do that.

My DD just got into year 5 and Invicta was my number 1 too and last week I met a teacher through a friend and he was a teacher at both schools doing supply teaching and he said MGGS is really a better more rounded school than invicta....so maybe your daughter could be right....He said quite a lot about invicta and it wasnt very pleasant but i guess you'll need an open mind.

And the ho ha that happened last year, I know kids from my local school madginford who didnt make it were all given the new line academy and its got over 2500 kids....Over my dead body, DD will never go there and thats why I am here and she will do the medway one too because this year I heard it was a lot easier than the kent one....Someone tried selling me the idea its an academy and they get loads of funding....but who care how much they get...all i care about is how well my DD will do....if they get all that money and still not producing whats the point