Medway Test - 2007

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Simon12

Post by Simon12 »

Anyone know when the results are released? Also how do the individual paper scores equate to the overall score. I'd heard that there are maximum of 700 points up for grabs in Medway!
Embleton

Post by Embleton »

You should get the test results on 26th January although that won't tell you what school your child is going to. I think that date will be 1st March.
I think the booklet from Medway Council says 700 points are available but how it is worked out with standardised scores seems to be a mystery to everybody but Albert Einstein :!:
GUEST2

Post by GUEST2 »

I heard from somewhere that the story was marked out of 50 or something like that. That would make sense because there were 50 questions on the Maths & VR. Then it has to be standardised according to the age of the child, then there's a formula printed in the booklet - mths & English are worth twicew as much as VR. All very complicated and confusing...keeping us parents in the dark about how a final result is reached....
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Thanks alot for the help, i just hope they stop this 11 plus soon and stop putting these kids (and mothers) threw this ordeal.

All i can say is Well Done to all those kids who took part in the 11 plus. Its a brave thing to do.
dumbledore

Post by dumbledore »

EXTRACT from medway council website

Results of the test

The results of the test are posted on 26 January indicating whether your child is deemed selective or non-selective. No offers of places will be made at this stage.

If your child is deemed non-selective, you can ask for a review of the decision if you feel the scores do not reflect your child’s ability. You should discuss this with your child’s primary school headteacher before deciding whether or not to request a review, so that you are aware of the school’s view. However, the decision is yours as to whether or not to proceed with the request for a review.

The review

If your child is deemed non-selective following the Medway Tests, you will automatically be sent an information leaflet and review form to complete. No requests for reviews can be considered for any reason after that time. Examples of the child's work will be reviewed by a panel.

Appeals against an admissions decision

If you have been refused a place at a school, you may appeal to an independent panel about the decision. You can submit more than one appeal simultaneously if you wish. Further information will be sent directly to you if you have not been allocated your first preference school in March 2007.

If you wish to pursue an appeal for grammar school where your child has been deemed non-selective, you must have first applied for a review of the decision, otherwise you will have not completed the admission process to these schools.
dumbledore

Post by dumbledore »

Scores are 'standardised' to give a score out of 140 in each subject. The minimum score is 70 out of 140 and the maximum is 140.

The maths score is doubled giving a mark out of 280, as is the extended writing score. The VR score (also out of 140) is added giving a total score out of 700.

The standardisation process is normal practice when dealing with large amounts of statistical data across a range of ability and ensures that raw scores of children with different ages at the time of taking the test is taken into account. e.g a child who was 10 in August 2006 will get a higher standardised score than a child who was 11 in September 2006 (both would have just taken the exam together) even if both get the same raw score - 22 out of 25 for the written paper for example, might equate to 124 out of 140 for the 10 year old, but only 122 for the 11 year old.

Clear as Mud !