What's a good Score ??? in Medway

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zink

Re: What's a good Score ??? in Medway

Post by zink »

I think bragging rights for 11+ scores will last for this week and probably the first week at the grammar school, after that it is quickly forgotten as nobody really cares.

What does matter is performance during their time at the school.

My two children enjoyed bragging rights over my third who got the results on Saturday 8/10 and she was visibly upset, even though she passed very comfortably. By Sunday she was over it. Unfortunately, life is competitive and there are always winners and losers.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

I was shocked by my DD's marks when they arrived as they were way down on what she'd been scoring in mocks etc, but having witnessed some shock results in the playground, I am just thanking God - a pass is a pass :)

It has just been awful at our school over the past couple of days, a lot of very bright kids haven't made it :( Am wondering what schools HAVE had a good pass rate - is it the indies? - as am even losing faith in the school now - got another one doing 11+ next time round and panicking :(
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

rubyhettybetty wrote: Am wondering what schools HAVE had a good pass rate - is it the indies? (
You know that one in your neck of woods with a phenominal pass rate but thats just about 40kids so other schools are still getting in but I doubt there is any other local school with success rate as remotely close to that school. They sometimes publish results in the KM of how school fared so keep any eye in there if thats something you want to know.
Last edited by sherry_d on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rubyhettybetty wrote:I was shocked by my DD's marks when they arrived as they were way down on what she'd been scoring in mocks etc, but having witnessed some shock results in the playground, I am just thanking God - a pass is a pass :)

:(
A pass is a pass in the medway - so dont worry ruby- enjoy it . And dont panic about dd2 - there is plenty of time to help her :)
anxiousyear

Post by anxiousyear »

zink wrote:I think bragging rights for 11+ scores will last for this week and probably the first week at the grammar school, after that it is quickly forgotten as nobody really cares.

What does matter is performance during their time at the school.

My two children enjoyed bragging rights over my third who got the results on Saturday 8/10 and she was visibly upset, even though she passed very comfortably. By Sunday she was over it. Unfortunately, life is competitive and there are always winners and losers.

I have not posted much but have been following forum with interest. My dd passed but I am with those who are reticent about posting scores (with no criticism intended of those who feel differently). However I am interested to know whether there is any correlation between the child's score and how they go on to cope with grammar school. Would a low score indicate that they might always be at the lower ability end of their class and struggle whereas a high one would suggest that they would fly? What are people's experiences in this regard?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

anxiousyear wrote:I have not posted much but have been following forum with interest. My dd passed but I am with those who are reticent about posting scores (with no criticism intended of those who feel differently). However I am interested to know whether there is any correlation between the child's score and how they go on to cope with grammar school. Would a low score indicate that they might always be at the lower ability end of their class and struggle whereas a high one would suggest that they would fly? What are people's experiences in this regard?
There is no correlation between score and how they cope at grammar - i think the biggest deciding factor is attitude!
To get on at grammr you need to embrace it and be prepared to put in the homework time and have a want to learn, in my opinion.

dd1 narrowly passed and now in yr 11 has done very well, better than some who scored much higher in the test but have not wanted to work hard once at grammar.

Of course there are always those that are so brught and put no work in and still do well, these are not the norm. What i found with dd1 was when she entered in year 7 she was very middle of her year perhaps a bit lower than middle and she gradually went up till she was in top quarter. I know a friend of hers who got in on an appeal - flying high, gifted and talented in maths. :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Why then is it superselectives results tends to be much higher than those that take on a pass? Is it simply because they are hard grafters? I am not sure if the scores are competely irrelevant because GCSE and A level results somehow correspond to the scores of the intake. There are a few exceptions though like Tunbridge wells girls grammar that does ver well despite taking just a pass but perhaps thats more to do with how prosperous the catchment is.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:Why then is it superselectives results tends to be much higher than those that take on a pass? Is it simply because they are hard grafters? I am not sure if the scores are competely irrelevant because GCSE and A level results somehow correspond to the scores of the intake. There are a few exceptions though like Tunbridge wells girls grammar that does ver well despite taking just a pass but perhaps thats more to do with how prosperous the catchment is.
Good questions - superselectives are more likely to have motivated parents behind the child - it can take a lot of motivated parent to get into a superselective :lol:
my dd1 grammar for instance got many very bright children in at year 7 who were basically from homes where the parents dont take such an active interest in their childs education! These scored well in the 11plus but have not done so well at GCSE. So obviosuly we have another factor to add to the equation - the motivated parent! Along with a good attitude to learning from the child and a good brain = the skys the limit! :lol:
red raver

Post by red raver »

hi,just wanted to agree with tiredmum,my ds just scrapped through the passmark on the 11+ and "friends"implied a grammar school might not be suitable for him due to the fact it was only just a pass. However he has flourished, he may not be the brightest in the class but he certainly puts in the effort,and that's what grammar schools like to see. He is not "out of his depth" just working hard and more importantly a caring,lovely child. 8)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Below are the top 20 GS in 2009 by average A level points per pupil - I only know one well and have indicated that admission is by "passing" as opposed to score ... just out of interest can people complete the others ... (I'm hunting for some more!)

1 Colchester Royal Grammar School Colchester M 145 571.93 Ranked score
2 Colyton Grammar School Colyton M 99 537.98 Ranked score
3 Altrincham Grammar School for Girls Altrincham G 146 534.93 Pass
4 Wilson's School Wallington B 139 512.88 ranked score
5 The Tiffin Girls' School Kingston upon Thames G 138 508.62 Ranked score
6 King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford Chelmsford M 160 508.13 Ranked score
7 King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys Birmingham B 107 506.26
8 Pate's Grammar School Cheltenham M 176 504.32 ranked score
9 Chelmsford County High School for Girls Chelmsford G 119 498.74 Ranked score
10 King Edward VI Five Ways School Birmingham M 178 478.54
11 King Edward VI School Stratford-upon-Avon B 70 474.57
12 Kendrick School Reading G 109 464.04 Ranked score
13 Ermysted's Grammar School Skipton B 76 463.3 Pass
14 Nonsuch High School for Girls Sutton G 157 462.23
15 King Edward VI Handsworth School Birmingham G 108 461.57
16 Torquay Boys' Grammar School Torquay B 156 460.71
17 Altrincham Grammar School for Boys Altrincham B 139 452.23
18 Queen Elizabeth's School, Barnet Barnet B 142 451.41