Injured during test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confused_parent

Injured during test

Post by confused_parent »

My sons results today were a long way off of what we all expected. He had sailed through mocks and is top of his class in school.

During the first scheduled break in the exams the children were allowed to play games and one child cartwheeled and kicked him in the face which resulted in a cut under his nose which is still there (scabbed up and getting smaller).

I am going to speak to his headteacher on Monday about possibly appealing as his results are not indicative of his work in school or the mock tests but I am wondering if this is something to be taken into consideration or if it should even be mentioned.

He said it hurt when it happened and was stinging when I picked him up, it broke the skin and bled so wasn't a gentle knock.
pheasantchick

Re: Injured during test

Post by pheasantchick »

In the Kent forum, there is a thread about children being disturbed due to fire alarms and crying children. Some of the advice given in this thread may be useful for you. Good luck!
paulap

Post by paulap »

Did you report it at the time? If not, it probably wouldn't be taken into consideration but I may be wrong.
katel

Post by katel »

Did he see a first aider or tell a teacher about the accident?

Is there a noticable difference between the marks in the paper he did before the break and the one he did after?

If not, then it seems unlikely that this will carry much weight in an appeal - sorry. It might be useful to add if there are other extenuating circumstances.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

confused_parent wrote:I am going to speak to his headteacher on Monday about possibly appealing as his results are not indicative of his work in school or the mock tests but I am wondering if this is something to be taken into consideration or if it should even be mentioned.

If your child has level 5 work in school it would be worth a review, speak to the head about the quality of work he could give you for a review. The thing is with a review is they ONLY look at the work, they dont take any notice of any circumstances. Then if the review is not successful you cant appeal on accademic/mitigating circumstances grounds - instead you have to prove the review was unfair!

Some people with good mitigating circumstances dont do review but wait to do an appeal armed with lots of evidence.
confused_parent

pheasantchick wrote:In the Kent forum, there is a thread about children being disturbed due to fire alarms and crying children. Some of the advice given in this thread may be useful for you. Good luck!
Thank you I will go and have a look over there.
confused_parent

paulap wrote:Did you report it at the time? If not, it probably wouldn't be taken into consideration but I may be wrong.
No, It was only when we were walking out of Chatham Grammar that I said to him what has happened to your face and he told me. To be honest what with talking about the exam etc I didn't even think to report it.
confused_parent

tiredmum wrote:
confused_parent wrote:I am going to speak to his headteacher on Monday about possibly appealing as his results are not indicative of his work in school or the mock tests but I am wondering if this is something to be taken into consideration or if it should even be mentioned.

If your child has level 5 work in school it would be worth a review, speak to the head about the quality of work he could give you for a review. The thing is with a review is they ONLY look at the work, they dont take any notice of any circumstances. Then if the review is not successful you cant appeal on accademic/mitigating circumstances grounds - instead you have to prove the review was unfair!

Some people with good mitigating circumstances dont do review but wait to do an appeal armed with lots of evidence.
Yes he is a clear level 5 in school work.

I don't think I have a clear case for an appeal so maybe the school work is the way to go.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Just to echo Tiredmum please do think carefully if an HT review is the best way forward. As these are extenuating circumstances then doing a parental appeal after allocation may be the best way to go. However with Medway I think you can only appeal on a school you have put on your CAF so you may need one or two grammars if you decide on the appeal route.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now