Results in....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mum34

Re: Results in....

Post by Mum34 »

No my son only took the medway test. School this morning said 12 points is a lot of points to be out by..... Not very supportive is it, got to speak to deputy tomorrow who deals with appeals, gonna try anyway after all his my son not theirs!!!
penguin

Post by penguin »

I think maybe you could try calling Chatham boys directly and see if they'd advise any route to take
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

12 points may be too big a margin for the school to support a review, but it wouldn't be for an appeal - there you are proving ability with as much evidence as possible.

So even if you get knocked back by school, you could still appeal. Good luck :)

Btw apparently there is a meeting at Chatham Girls on 22 October to explain the extra entry routes into the two Chatham GSs.
Yazzi

Post by Yazzi »

Yes can confirm the Chatham Grammar Schools meeting is at Chatham Grammar school for girls and is being held on 22 October, the letters should be coming out this week. Met my DD's HT today who, thankfully is fully supporting her review. He said he was surprised at her results as she only needed 2 more questions. He did say that the maths paper was extremely difficult this year. Also there was some disruption in the classroom at the time of her maths test so was told to put this in the parents statement.

Hopefully we will get through the review process, however as a back up plan we will appeal and also speak with CGSG as that is our first choice anyway.

Thanks to all on this forum for the help, advice and support.

Good luck to all those going through the review process. Heres to another 3 week wait!!! :(
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Yazzi wrote:Yes can confirm the Chatham Grammar Schools meeting is at Chatham Grammar school for girls and is being held on 22 October, the letters should be coming out this week. Met my DD's HT today who, thankfully is fully supporting her review. He said he was surprised at her results as she only needed 2 more questions. He did say that the maths paper was extremely difficult this year. Also there was some disruption in the classroom at the time of her maths test so was told to put this in the parents statement.

Hopefully we will get through the review process, however as a back up plan we will appeal and also speak with CGSG as that is our first choice anyway.

Thanks to all on this forum for the help, advice and support.

Good luck to all those going through the review process. Heres to another 3 week wait!!! :(
I think your DD will get through, talking from experience. The disruption and her school performance will work to her advantage. I do not agree that the Maths was extremely difficult but it all depends on preparation and it is not an excuse. HT needs to concentrate more on her performance and disruption.
skip202

Post by skip202 »

Went to Chatham Boys tonight and we really liked it. A good presentation by the head and the boys. Every one we met were happy and enthusiastic about their school. And going forward they will be getting the facilities from the school adjacent to them including a new hall and sports gym which are greatly needed.

Mum34 - I would definitely speak to the school admissions (if its a school on your list) as they have changed their admissions this year and there are quite a few options to get in.
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

skip202 wrote:Went to Chatham Boys tonight and we really liked it. A good presentation by the head and the boys. Every one we met were happy and enthusiastic about their school. And going forward they will be getting the facilities from the school adjacent to them including a new hall and sports gym which are greatly needed.
We went too and were also very impressed.

We spoke to the deputy head before we left (he gave the speech about the admissions changes) and he was very honest and open.

He told us that last night was the school showing off it's best and that we shouldn't make any decision based solely on that - to come to one of the morning sessions and see what the school is like during a normal school day.

We are booked in to visit next week.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

We liked it two years ago and my DS was very tempted, but the journey was less good. I was impressed by the languages on offer, but less so by the sports facilities, but that will improve when their site expands.

Another thing which might interest those making a decision, is that Chatham Boys is considered by the Department of Education to be a school in a deprived area (not the immediate area as far as I can tell), which means that efforts are made to persuade them to consider Oxbridge. My friend's Yr8 DS is getting a free day trip to Cambridge :!:
skip202

Post by skip202 »

That's a very good point about visiting the school during the day and therefore will also try to make an appointment as well :-)
Thanks