My understanding is as follows:
- the 23% (and after reviews 25%) of cohort is based on Medway children only
- Kent and OOC children are therefore 'extra'
- the number of children passing is not connected to the schools' vacancies because the council does not want either to dilute the GS standard, or to leave the remaining schools with lower numbers (and lower achievers at 11+ level)
- the number of children in Medway schools has been falling for years, so some grammar schools (the two in Chatham, mostly I think because they are less accessible) have spaces to fill
- as a result, the cut-off mark for those schools taking on high marks (RMGS and RGS) has fallen year on year, and the two Chatham GS have taken extraordinary measures this year to fill spaces
I am very happy to acknowledge that over the past two or three years of my 11+ journey with two DCs, I have learnt an enormous amount from Peter *****