Key Stage 2 SATs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
didledad

Key Stage 2 SATs

Post by didledad »

I am seeking any information regarding the Key Stage 2 SATS Year 6 children will sit this May.
It was my understanding, that this is the first year, under the new National Curriculum and as such level descriptors will be removed and a standardised score will be used to grade the children.
However, I was surprised to read in Medway Council’s Transfer To Secondary School information, under the Keep up The Good Work hand out, that grading would be under the Level 4, 5 & 6 criteria!
Does anyone have any information on how the system will work?
Thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: Key Stage 2 SATs

Post by Guest55 »

It's all in the KS2 test thread -

"From 2016, scaled scores will be used to report national curriculum test outcomes.

For the KS2 tests a scaled score of 100 will represent the ‘expected standard’. (See section 4 for more details.)

STA will publish test results on the NCA tools website on 5 July 2016. Each pupil registered for the tests will receive:

* a raw score (the number of marks awarded)
* a scaled score
* and confirmation of whether or not they attained the expected standard

Conversion tables for the 2016 tests will also be published on GOV.UK on Tuesday 5 July so schools can understand how pupils’ scaled scores are derived from their raw scores."

From: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/2016-key-st ... st-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Teacher assessments:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/2016-key-st ... assessment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
didledad

Post by didledad »

Guest 55,

Thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They probably haven't updated the booklet - Secondary schools will get the KS2 data whatever format it is in!
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

I'd just like to emphasise, didledad, one point which might not be so obvious. Each pupil receive a scaled score, with 100 representing the ‘expected standard’. This is very different from a standardised score, where 100 represents the arithmetic mean (average).

A child who achieves a scaled score of 100 might be above or below the average score of the cohort, depending on whether the average pupil met the ‘expected standard’ or not. As a result, extracting something useful from the scores will be a challenge.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The averages are going to be published I think.
didledad

Post by didledad »

Goodheart,
Thank you for the clarification, I had wrongly assumed a scaled score of 100 and a standardised score of 100 both represented the mid point of the standard distribution of scores. However, upon reflection I can now see that a scaled score reflects an expected outcome, rather than being one of a distribution of scores that you would expect to see represented by a Bell Curve.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now