non-selective: worth an appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
judy

non-selective: worth an appeal?

Post by judy »

Congratulations to all whose children have been "deemed selective" in this year's test.
Sadly, my daughter has not achieved a high enough mark. In fact she is quite a way off which has come as a shock as her school thought she would sail through the test. I wasn't so sure about that as she doesn't usually perform well in tests. However, her class work is of very high standard, she achieved level 5 in English and level 4 in Maths at the beginning of the school year, and she has a reputation for being a very diligent worker. Personally I feel she would cope well in a grammar school so would like to go to review.
Will speak to her class tacher on Monday, but just wondered what your thoughts are. Worth appeal or not?>>>
choccieaddict

Post by choccieaddict »

Judy, my daughter and I are in exactly the same position as you and yours. She says she was very nervous on the day (she has no nails left, even two weeks later!)I would say if you and your daughter want to, then appeal. It just means waiting another 2 weeks for a decision. Painful I know, I think we may be doing exactly that. :shock:
judy

Post by judy »

Thanks choccie addict!
I think we'll certainly go for the review stage - but it is the two more weeks' waiting that gets to me! Would've been so nice to have it settled today....but hey-ho!
choccieaddict

Post by choccieaddict »

it's the next letter that comes from the review that bothers me now. Daughter has already experienced one 'rejection', I'm not sure I or her could get through another!
braxton

Post by braxton »

Does the review taken into consideration how far away you were away from the pass mark?
choccieaddict

Post by choccieaddict »

Braxton, I would like to know that too. At 14 marks away there are bound to be other children closer to the pass mark than my daughter. Personally I am hoping that they will take other things into consideration like the school work.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The Review takes into account the following: parental submission, Medway test scores, children's work submitted by the school, any previous standardised test scores submitted by the school, school recommendation.

All you have to do is prepare the parental submission and send it to your child's school by 23rd November.

Post by Guest »

thanks for that Peter, I wasn't sure where I was going to send my letter!
Do you, or does anyone else, know if it is acceptable to attach copies of past school reports with specific points highlighted (eg " X is working above national expectations....", my daughter got this written into her reports every year since Year 2 for all 3 subjects...evidence of consistency!) and whether it is worth mentioning gifted and talented clubs in subjcts such as art and reading?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Last year attachments were returned as not accceptable.
choccieaddict

Post by choccieaddict »

oh, ok, best mention them in my review letter then I suppose.
thanks for confirming that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now