Fort Pitt or Rochester Grammer ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tigger

Fort Pitt or Rochester Grammer ?

Post by Tigger »

My daughter has passed with 569. Reading other posts on this forum gives me the view that she could get into our first choice to go to Rochester Grammer but I've received such conflicting views.

The main ones with Rochester Grammer are that the Headteacher isn't visible, (we certainly didn't meet her on our visit to the school), and also that it is not a people caring school.

But one Mum of a 6th former at Fort Pitt has said she wouldn't send her younger daughter to Fort Pitt.

Any views ?

Post by Guest »

Go and visit them both and then decide for yourself - Your daughter may prefer one over the other!
You will hear lots of things from various sources about both schools but these aren't necessarily relevant to you or your daughter. Go check 'em out yourself!
blondie

Fort Pitt or Rochester Grammar

Post by blondie »

Our daughter has just started at RGS and have found them to be very supportive. If you attend the open day this Saturday, you will see that they have an area called the "Success Maker". This is a dedicated area set aside which is manned by a member of staff who acts as a "Mentor".Their role is to assist any pupil who is having difficulties with their school work. Apparantly, they have previously been criticised for lack of pastoral care and are now making very good improvements to address this.
Personally, I would recommend RGS and i believe that your daughter will have no problems getting into this school with her score.
georgina

Post by georgina »

Im faced with the same dilemma about which school to choose,i heard that Rochester only takes the best,my daughter got 546 does she even qualify for rgs
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Surely you can just put RGS first and another second because if your child's score is not high enough they will give you your second choice anyway.

What have you got to lose? :)
happygal

Post by happygal »

Not that simple - some schools fill up with those who put them as first choice, and few if any who put such a school second will get a place.
Having said that, Fort Pitt don't seem to have had a problem with oversubscription for the past few years so you should be OK if you put RGS first and them 2nd

Post by Guest »

No, It's different this year -
All the schools on the list don't know whether they are listed 1st 2nd 3rd etc. If more than one School is able to offer a place THEN your preference list comes into play and you will be offered the school listed highest on your CAF (one that can offer a place obviously!) The schools use their own criteria.. so for example, if there is a family that prefer RGS but they are not sure the score is high enough they are better putting RGS first. IF RGS can't offer a place they would be offered the next school on the list that can offer them a place. So... if you want RGS list it first!!! regardless of your child's score... Fort Pitt and Chatham girls may also be able to offer places to your child and if they are listed higher than RGS - you will be offered those instead...
Jaycee

Fort Pitt!

Post by Jaycee »

No sure if last post registered!!

Just want to say that my daughter started at fort pitt in sept and we could not be more pleased.

If you are unsure go around the schools and look. My daughter has lept in confidence and achievement in a few short months and loves it. (from leve 5 in maths and science to 6's and 7's predicted for the end of year.)Although at first we were unsure as often opinion of fort pitt can be that it is second best, and i have to say that was my view. It has now changed significantly. The girls are friendly and achievement is an important aspect of school life as is supporting the students. I have not witnessed any tears and tantrums at the school gates and all my daughters new friends are extremely polite well behaved young women.

What an excellent school!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Jaycee, how lovely to hear your post and I too have chosen Fort Pitt for my daughter. I know it has the reputation of being '2nd best' but I strongly believe there are other factors to take into account other than percentage of A*'s per pupil!

Both my husband and my daughter felt very strongly too at the open sessions that it was a wonderful school that would provide more than just a great education.

I am so pleased to hear from you that this is indeed the case. :D

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:No, It's different this year -
All the schools on the list don't know whether they are listed 1st 2nd 3rd etc.
I also thought that was the case this year, but do the schools know that because at more than one open session the headteachers have said words to the effect that if you put us first you will get a place....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now