Best Boy's Grammar school in Medway

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11PlusBoy

Best Boy's Grammar school in Medway

Post by 11PlusBoy »

My boy passed Medway test with 581 score. We live in Ashford and fall in OOC . Please suggest me the best Medway boys schools compared to NKB, Ashford?
ToadMum

Re: Best Boy's Grammar school in Medway

Post by ToadMum »

11PlusBoy wrote:My boy passed Medway test with 581 score. We live in Ashford and fall in OOC . Please suggest me the best Medway boys schools compared to NKB, Ashford?
It might help if you give people a clue as to what criteria you would be using to define 'best'?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad11plus

Post by mad11plus »

Rochester grammar don't have OOC but chatham grammar school (boys) take OOC but not as good as Rochester grammar.
But they compete with Rochester grammar so good focus.
My friends son is happy in chatham grammar school
11PlusBoy

Post by 11PlusBoy »

mad11plus wrote:Rochester grammar don't have OOC but chatham grammar school (boys) take OOC but not as good as Rochester grammar.
But they compete with Rochester grammar so good focus.
My friends son is happy in chatham grammar school
Thank you very much for the reply.
medway_mum

Post by medway_mum »

By Rochester Grammar, I’m assuming you mean The Maths School (or Sir Joseph Williamson Mathematical School), which is a Boys’ school. This should not be confused with Rochester Grammar School, which is a girls-only school. The Maths School admit based on distance. In addition to Chatham Boys Grammar, there is also Rainham Mark Grammar school is a mixed school and admits based on scores.
didledad

Post by didledad »

11Plus Boy,
Whilst ‘best’ can be judged by a vast criteria range, the most important of which is in my opinion is your child’s thoughts on any potential School, please find a link to the Government’s provisional 2016 Key Stage 4 data. This gives objective measures of individual Schools performance.

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... 0&tab=list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The four Medway Boys Grammar Schools you will need to compare are:
1. Sir Joseph Williamson’s Mathematical School
2. Chatham Grammar School for Boys
3. The Howard School
4. Rainham Mark Grammar School

A couple of notes:
• Rochester Grammar School is not a boy’s School, although it does admit boys into the sixth form.
• Rainham Mark Grammar School is a mixed School.
• The Howard School is bilateral but reported as one school, thus the academic results in the Grammar School, maybe diluted in this analysis? (My personal observation only and I could well be wrong!)
11PlusBoy

Post by 11PlusBoy »

Perfect.
My criteria for best school is based on GCSE results , A Levels, Ofsted report, and Sports facilities. Gone through the 4 schools, but all of them are falling short in A Levels. This is based on the rating "Grades AAB or higher in at least 2 facilitating subjects" . Facilitating subjects are ones that are commonly needed for entry to leading universities.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

11PlusBoy wrote:Perfect.
My criteria for best school is based on GCSE results , A Levels, Ofsted report, and Sports facilities. Gone through the 4 schools, but all of them are falling short in A Levels. This is based on the rating "Grades AAB or higher in at least 2 facilitating subjects" . Facilitating subjects are ones that are commonly needed for entry to leading universities.
Given that GCSE results, A level results and Ofsted ratings are not what floats the boat of the average year 6 child, one hopes that the sports facilities are the one thing that your DS is being allowed to form an opinion of the schools on?

There is quite a lot of movement between schools and from schools to sixth form colleges post GCSE, so could you not just choose the school which best meets the other three criteria now and get him to move to whichever other one is getting the best A level results in five years' time? Things do change over time - it might even turn out to be the school which is only this year's least-worst option.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now