chatham grammar for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
liney

chatham grammar for boys

Post by liney »

We looked at chatham grammar for boys on its open evening, and listened to the headteachers speech. I am a little concerned about the fact they do the SATS in year 8 (a year early), and GCSE's a year early in year 10, does anyone have a child there, and how do they cope? Is it compulsary to do them a year earlier or is this purely an option for the very clever ones?

Thank you
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi there Liney, I did not go to Chatham Boys open evening however I did attend several other grammars and one high school who also follow this accelerated curriculum. The way it was explained was that it is extremely unlikely a future employer/university will be greatly interested in a childs SATs results, however they will definitely be very interested in their GCSE results. Because of this more and more schools have decided not to devote 3 years to SATs work but cover it in 2 years leaving more time to really nail the GCSE's. If a pupil does badly they can retake it in year 11 or even pick up a new one.
I do understand your concerns however, but it seems most of the schools are doing this now. Hope this was useful. :)

Post by Guest »

Going one further... A level results are important too... and it means the kids get to spend 3 years on these instead of 2...

Post by Guest »

Not all the Grammars do their SATs in Year 8! My son is in Year 7 at the Maths School, where they still do them in Year 9, the reason being that they don't believe in putting the pressure on when they are young. Many arguments for and against taking SATs early, but I'm all for not having pressure put on my son. He's having a great time, so far, at the Maths, with so many extra-curricular activities on offer - long may this continue!
liney

Post by liney »

Thanks for your previous messages, just to tell you my son has been offered a place at Chat Grammar.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Congratulations Liney to you and your ds. I hope he is very happy there. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now