Just had appeal hearing...still shaking!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Well, that's the first appeal over. The panel were very nice, but pretty negative about his maths (missed by 1 point), saying that he will not cope with the higher level maths (despite him attaining highest possible optional SAT's levels in Years 3,4,5, and predicted 5A in Year 6) The panel also indicated that because he hadn't been on any maths camps/sessions with the school, his maths is not up to grammar standard. He's been in the top set for maths ever since Year 3, and I'm not aware that the school organises any extra maths events! Guess I should ask them!

I have no expectation of a positive outcome, so at least we are prepared for that. We have another appeal (still no date) - but feel exhausted with it all now!

Good luck to all those with appeals still to go, and for those waiting for news too x
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi MGSMum, have been reading your post on appeals. Think the question about tutoring will go in your favour, genuinely, - may have just been probing to find out whether you did participate in this or not.
On the maths front, - there will be some (lots?) who only passed maths by 1 or so marks, and the panel surely will be aware of this.
I wish you the very best of luck, especially as you seem to have had a tough time from your panel, and coped admirably.
Will be looking our for your outcome
Bougalou
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

MGSMUM wrote:Well, that's the first appeal over.
We have another appeal (still no date) - but feel exhausted with it all now!
Imagewith your other appeal.

The heat is sti11 on but not long now...hopefu11y.

Try to rest during this 'break'.

A11 the best,

LBSWM
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Thank you Bougalou and LBSWM for your words of support.

I'd always thought of myself as a relatively stable, emotionally robust person until all of this! Now, I'm prone to tears at the drop of a hat, and feel useless and inadequate. I'm sure it's down the ridiculous length of time that this is taking (we won't know for sure until more than 4 months after the exam result date) The stress and uncertaintity has been continuous - now peaking to an all time high after yesterday's poor (imo) appeal hearing. We also have all his friends asking why my DS is not going to all the assessment/induction days, when, as far as they see it '.....but he's cleverer than me....' (their words, not mine). They are completely baffled as to why he's not going to the Grammar - obviously they are unaware of what's going on behind the scenes - this is something I only share with hubby & forum!

I'm going to try and forget about it for a couple of weeks (think nice bottles of something in the bottom of the fridge might help!) - hubby & I have a day at Wimbledon in the second week of the tennis, (before the appeal dates!) so am trying to focus on that as something to look forward to!
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Good for you, MGSMUM.

It can never be underestimated: the amount of stre55 dealing with the Appeals proce55 is unbelievable.

It affects someone close to your heart ( your child)and I think it is indeed very hard to detach yourself from the worry of it a11, especia11y if you feel you have tried your best and 'what happens next' is in someone else's hands..

You have my utmost support from afar and I'm glad you're planning a distraction/ treat for yourself and hubby.

You deserve it so much.

Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I sympathise totally. I've had the "everyone knows she's cleverer than....." from kids, parents etc, and it does make you feel utterly helpless. To add insult to injury, my DD has now been invited to a gifted and talented summer school at the GS which deemed her unsuitable, and others who passed the test have not been chosen. - This has caused a lot of conflict, DH going spare and claiming he's going to "have a go" at the parents' information evening (oo er hope I can keep him controlled) parents of those who got through to GS but not to the G&T thing demanding to know why their child wasn't chosen etc etc. It has brought all those horrible feelings back. However, luckily for us we now have a favourable outcome, and I'm really hoping that the same will be true for you. Will keep my eyes peeled for news, all the very best
Bouga
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Yes, I've been following your story - you have never given up, and I really admire you for that - you finally got what you deserved, and rightly so, but the frustration and unfairness of it all is so draining. I hope I can carry on the fight next year, if I have to!

Medwaykentboarder - still thinking of you, and wondering if you have any news yet - fingers and toes still crossed! x
kentmedwayborder

Post by kentmedwayborder »

Hi
I am still here, like you am emotionally drained ......have spent most of week crying every time I look at my DD and knowing I will probably soon have to tell her bad news.

Nothing on my appeal yet....the waiting and the helplessness is destroying me.......but I pray that we will all have the endings we need .... my thoughts are with you and all others going through this nightmare.

sorry for not posting more it's taking all my strength to get through each day.......... if only we could convey that to the panel........if only.

x
kentmedwayborder

Post by kentmedwayborder »

oh ....can someone PLEASE ban me from reading the rehab threads.......its costing me a fortune in tissues!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now